Finnish people's CEFR scores

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
ArticleBusters

Post by ArticleBusters » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:39 am

Hello,

I'm a university professor, and I'm conducting a survey relating to English skills of Finnish people in their 20's. However, I am facing difficulty knowing the overall English ability of each participant. It seems not many students take a TOEFL or IELTS exam unless they have a specific reason. What if I ask them for their CEFR scores? Do you think most of them could answer my question based on whatever domestic test they have taken?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Finnish people's CEFR scores

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:22 pm

ArticleBusters wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:39 am
I'm a university professor, and I'm conducting a survey relating to English skills of Finnish people in their 20's. However, I am facing difficulty knowing the overall English ability of each participant. It seems not many students take a TOEFL or IELTS exam unless they have a specific reason. What if I ask them for their CEFR scores? Do you think most of them could answer my question based on whatever domestic test they have taken?
The domestic test would be the grades they had in school, you can ask for that.

I wouldn't have any clue how to translate school grades to CEFR levels, but a university professor like you can surely figure out what research exists for mapping Finnish school grades to CEFR levels.

ArticleBusters

Post by ArticleBusters » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:09 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:22 pm
ArticleBusters wrote:

I wouldn't have any clue how to translate school grades to CEFR levels, but a university professor like you can surely figure out what existing research exists for mapping Finnish school grades to CEFR levels.
Much appreciated, FinlandGirl. You mean the Matriculation Examination, and that most high school graduates, if not all, know their grades? I looked around, and found one possible article but it turned out to be inaccessible. What do the grades go? I'm curious.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:19 pm

ArticleBusters wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:09 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:22 pm
ArticleBusters wrote:

I wouldn't have any clue how to translate school grades to CEFR levels, but a university professor like you can surely figure out what existing research exists for mapping Finnish school grades to CEFR levels.
Much appreciated, FinlandGirl. You mean the Matriculation Examination, and that most high school graduates, if not all, know their grades?
Matriculation exam for people who did sit the matriculation exam and who did choose English as a subject in the matriculation exam. People should remember their grades.
For most other Finns the grades they were given in earlier years of school are the best data that is available.

The proper way for getting usable results would be that you conduct a language test as part of your survey.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:08 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:19 pm
Matriculation exam for people who did sit the matriculation exam and who did choose English as a subject in the matriculation exam. People should remember their grades.
For most other Finns the grades they were given in earlier years of school are the best data that is available.
And it's worth noting that since the vocational track does not participate in the matriculation examination, the examination only covers roughly half the people (and English is not mandatory).
FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:19 pm
The proper way for getting usable results would be that you conduct a language test as part of your survey.
Indeed.