Marriage and DVV

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
paintballsean

Marriage and DVV

Post by paintballsean » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:42 pm

I have this question about what does an American need to prove for the certificate of impediment to marriage as we do not have one to the DVV.

Marriage and DVV

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jenkkipoika

Re: Marriage and DVV

Post by jenkkipoika » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:11 pm

When I did it this summer I wrote my own affidavit saying I was single and was never married and had no impediments to marriage. I then took it to a notary in DC where I lived at the time and signed and had it notarized. Then I had to send it into the Secretary of the District of Columbia for them to issue an apostille which basically confirms that the notary is a recognized notary in DC. My fiancee then submitted those two documents along with the required form to the DVV for approval. I just googled "single status affidavit" for examples to write my own.

Basically they want a document saying you're able to be married. You can try to do this in your own state, and I'm sure each has their own apostille process with the Secretary of your state, or you can make an appointment at the US embassy in Helsinki and they'll have you sign an affidavit and issue the apostille there.

paintballsean

Post by paintballsean » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:16 pm

paintballsean wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:42 pm
I have this question about what does an American need to prove for the certificate of impediment to marriage as we do not have one to the DVV.
I booked an appointment at helsinki embassy but how long did it take for them to verify the information

jenkkipoika

Post by jenkkipoika » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:22 am

paintballsean wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:16 pm
paintballsean wrote:
I booked an appointment at helsinki embassy but how long did it take for them to verify the information
For who to verify information? The embassy doesn't verify anything. You sign an affidavit just saying you have no impediments to marriage and they notarize it and issue an apostille. It's basically just you affirming you are currently single, and no one actually checks anything. Once you submit it to the DVV it takes about two weeks for them to approve.

paintballsean

Post by paintballsean » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:29 pm

jenkkipoika wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:22 am
paintballsean wrote:
paintballsean wrote:
For who to verify information? The embassy doesn't verify anything. You sign an affidavit just saying you have no impediments to marriage and they notarize it and issue an apostille. It's basically just you affirming you are currently single, and no one actually checks anything. Once you submit it to the DVV it takes about two weeks for them to approve.
Thanks cause I have appointment with embassy and just trying to figure time frame that it takes for the DVV to grant permission.

ShadowEn

Post by ShadowEn » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:58 pm

paintballsean wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:29 pm
jenkkipoika wrote:
paintballsean wrote:

Thanks cause I have appointment with embassy and just trying to figure time frame that it takes for the DVV to grant permission.
If you have the affidavits, then it takes about a week? I got mine done in May, and that's how long it took for us.

paintballsean

Post by paintballsean » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:36 am

ShadowEn wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:58 pm
paintballsean wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:29 pm
jenkkipoika wrote:

If you have the affidavits, then it takes about a week? I got mine done in May, and that's how long it took for us.
d
Thanks it took a little over a week for mine but I finally got married. I am now dealing with all the stuff to get back my husband. I really miss him so much since i had to come back to America to wait and finish up all the stuff. I only hope that it wont be long before i can build my life with the one who matters the world to me. I hope migri doesn't take 9 months to allow me to live with my husband