Indian Restaurants in Helsinki / Espoo area

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Rob A.

Re: Indian Restaurants in Helsinki / Espoo area

Post by Rob A. » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:39 am

Ancilla wrote:If you like Punjabi food.. come to the Gurdwara (=Sikh temple) in Sörnäinen.. the langar is served on Sunday afternoons :D
It's delicious, FREE, and you get to eat as much as you want :wink:
Yes...I understand this is a part of the Sikh religion....to feed those having difficulties... through the Langar...the communal kitchen. I live in Vancouver and here is a link for a local Langar.... I quite like Punjabi food...the spicier the better... :thumbsup:

However, I'm not in need, but I'm wondering if it is acceptable to go to something like this and donate discretely, .....with the understanding the money would be used for the communal kitchen?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

inkku

Post by inkku » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:13 pm

Hallelujah!
There is a South Indian restaurant in Helsinki, and the reviews are good.
Cannot wait to get my Dosa!!!!
http://southindian.fi/

deepsudeep

Post by deepsudeep » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:13 pm

inkku wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:13 pm
Hallelujah!
Yea, something is better than nothing!

inkku

Post by inkku » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:12 pm

deepsudeep wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:13 pm
inkku wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:13 pm
Hallelujah!
Yea, something is better than nothing!
Dosa was nice, to me it tasted pretty much as it should taste, only the coconut chutney was not so great. Idli no way, it was thick, hard and tasteless. Unfortunately they don't make upma.
But I would recommend their masala dosa!
I am also hoping one day somebody starts selling puris! another heavenly creation from India.
The south Indian restaurant is located in Kluuvi shopping centre upstairs.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:42 pm

inkku wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:12 pm
I am also hoping one day somebody starts selling puris! another heavenly creation from India.
The Indian market in Hakaniemi has frozen ones you can fry yourself.

agroot

Post by agroot » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:47 am

Does anyone know any that offers some Indian desserts or drinks? Not boring cakes, yogurt milk (?) and the usual

I only spotted the fried sweet balls in syrup... I recall there was milk with rose, not in Finland, but there ought to be dozens of Indian desserts and drinks I haven't tried!

ShadowEn

Post by ShadowEn » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:58 pm

agroot wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:47 am
Does anyone know any that offers some Indian desserts or drinks? Not boring cakes, yogurt milk (?) and the usual

I only spotted the fried sweet balls in syrup... I recall there was milk with rose, not in Finland, but there ought to be dozens of Indian desserts and drinks I haven't tried!
I've listed a few outliers here, but I'm only familiar with the Helsinki area. Maybe others can help list more.
  • The South Indian Restaurant at Kluuvi has gulab jamun (the fried sweet balls you mentioned), pal paniyaram (a soft lentil ball soaked in coconut milk), kulfi (an Indian ice cream), and a dessert dosa (smothered in chocolate. Bit weird and non-traditional but you do you).

Deli Rasoi at Tripla has carrot halwa and kulfi.

Deshi Bazaar is an Indian (edit: this store is Bangladeshi not Indian) store that has Indian sweetmeats as part of their selection.

There is also an Indian store at Hakaniemi that has ready made mixes so you can try making a few desserts by yourself. I think I've spotted jalebi and gulab jamun mixes.

agroot

Post by agroot » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:37 pm

was unimpressed by the rose milk in the South Indian Restaurant. It appears they used natural rose extraction which is very sour (have one bottle at home), not like the sweet sweet thing I had in an opulent place run by an Indian with minimal wage staff. If my memory is not wrong every desserts they made were sweet to the extreme level.

they do have a lot more interesting stuff. will get back later.