Applying in Finland? - RP Intimate Relationship

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ljv2022

Post by ljv2022 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:42 pm

Hello,

I am a US citizen who has been dating a Finnish person for 2 years now. I am currently saving money for the RP based on intimate relationship and am planning to have the €12,000 by March 2022. On migri's website, there is a part that says first time resident permant applicants are able to apply in Finland and wait for the decision there. I recently emailed migri and they said that I am able to apply for it in FInland and wait there for the decision, even if my visa-free period expires (US passports are visa-free with 90 day period). If I am able to apply in Finland and wait there, that would be ideal... Although, I emailed VFS global with the same question a couple months ago and they said that I should apply for it in the legal country of residence (USA). (I've also sent an email regarding applying in Finland after recieving the reply from Migri...currently waiting for a reply.)

My questions are:
  • Has anybody successfully applied in Finland for this RP?
  • Do I need to go through VFS global for my application? (I am not sure if they mostly deal with student and work visas, or if they also need all RP applicants to go through them as well)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Applying in Finland? - RP Intimate Relationship

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:52 am

ljv2022 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:42 pm
I am a US citizen who has been dating a Finnish person for 2 years now. I am currently saving money for the RP based on intimate relationship and am planning to have the €12,000 by March 2022.
What is your plan for the second year?
Except for some very narrow exceptions, the residence permit on other grounds does not grant you the right to work.
ljv2022 wrote:
On migri's website, there is a part that says first time resident permant applicants are able to apply in Finland and wait for the decision there. I recently emailed migri and they said that I am able to apply for it in FInland and wait there for the decision, even if my visa-free period expires (US passports are visa-free with 90 day period). If I am able to apply in Finland and wait there, that would be ideal... Although, I emailed VFS global with the same question a couple months ago and they said that I should apply for it in the legal country of residence (USA). (I've also sent an email regarding applying in Finland after recieving the reply from Migri...currently waiting for a reply.)

My questions are:
  • Has anybody successfully applied in Finland for this RP?
Migri wrote: If you are abroad, visit a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). If you are already in Finland, book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.
ljv2022 wrote:
  • Do I need to go through VFS global for my application? (I am not sure if they mostly deal with student and work visas, or if they also need all RP applicants to go through them as well)
Application for residence permits always happens with Migri, if you apply for a residence permit in the US then VFS global may collect your biometric data.

ljv2022

Post by ljv2022 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:01 pm

Thank you FinlandGirl for the quick response! For the second year, we are mostly discussing marriage...because the job availability for those with a RP based on intimate relationship are limited. Ideally, I would like to get a job shortly after I arrive, but I will mostly likely have to wait until after the first year. It is a relief to know that I am able to apply for my RP in Finland! :D

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:24 am

ljv2022 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:01 pm
Thank you FinlandGirl for the quick response! For the second year, we are mostly discussing marriage...because the job availability for those with a RP based on intimate relationship are limited. Ideally, I would like to get a job shortly after I arrive, but I will mostly likely have to wait until after the first year.
Not having the right to work isn't your only problem.
Outside IT, being able to work in Finnish is usually mandatory for any job.
Job availability for those who do not speak Finnish is very scarce, many students from countries like Nepal or India are competing with you for the same postal and food delivery work.
If you are not fluent in Finnish at that point, when you got the residence permit on family ties after your marriage you will spend a year in a language course organized by the employment office.

Jmichaelstinnett

Post by Jmichaelstinnett » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:29 am

Good morning. I’m a u.s. citizen. Legally married to my kids mom also u.s. citizen. But I’ve lived as a single parent (without divorce) for over 15 years. I’m in a relationship now. It is with a Finnish born citizen. And I am in Finland with her. We love each other very much. I would like to stay here. And I’ve no real alternative but to stay here.

Would I be approved for rp on the grounds of my intimate relationship although legally married but I’ve been separated/considered single in the u.s.?
Thank you in advance for anyone’s time and input to my question! Kittos

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:53 pm

Have you been cohabiting (in Finland or anywhere) with your new partner for 2+ years? I presume not in Finland as you couldn't stay that long without a rp.

Do you have evidence of the relationship having existed for 2+ years? I think this is the bare minimum for an intimate relationship rp, but I could be wrong.

Being still married to your former partner is definitely an obstacle to a new marriage! But I'm not aware it would be an obstacle to an rp. You will have to show evidence of separation though. How long ago did you separate?

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:54 pm

Jmichaelstinnett wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:29 am
I’m a u.s. citizen. Legally married to my kids mom also u.s. citizen. But I’ve lived as a single parent (without divorce) for over 15 years. I’m in a relationship now. It is with a Finnish born citizen. And I am in Finland with her. We love each other very much. I would like to stay here. And I’ve no real alternative but to stay here.

Would I be approved for rp on the grounds of my intimate relationship although legally married but I’ve been separated/considered single in the u.s.?
Migri wrote: You must also meet the following requirements:
- You or your partner are not married to anyone else.
The most realistic option for you is to divorce your current wife, and then marry your girlfriend.