cross country SKi

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
matteobedin

cross country SKi

Post by matteobedin » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:41 pm

Good evening. I am planning my First travel to finland. I would like to cross country skiing, and i want to try to see northern lights. I don't know where to go, I cannot choose among kemi Oulu and lohiniva. In Oulu Is there free ski tracks that i can get there by bus. ? I Need to rent skis e boots, in kemi Is It possibile?
Thank you

cross country SKi

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: cross country SKi

Post by heretostay » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:15 am

I live near Oulu and Kemi and cross country ski a lot. Where you want to go for northern lights is not near a city. My suggestion is fly to Kittilä or take the train to Kolari and go to Äkäslompolo by bus from airport or train station. There will be a bus that meets the schedule of every plane and train. Lots of free ski tracks and rental skis are available. There is also a hostel there if you are looking for more budget accommodation. If not there are plenty of hotels too.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: cross country SKi

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:25 am

matteobedin wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:41 pm
Good evening. I am planning my First travel to finland. I would like to cross country skiing, and i want to try to see northern lights. I don't know where to go, I cannot choose among kemi Oulu and lohiniva. In Oulu Is there free ski tracks that i can get there by bus. ? I Need to rent skis e boots, in kemi Is It possibile?
Thank you
For skiing and seeing the northern lights I'd suggest one of the outdoor and ski resorts in https://www.visitfinland.com/lapland/ There's also lots of other information on that site.

Where did you come up with Oulu, Kemi and Lohiniva, are you going to those places for some reason anyway? Oulu and Kemi are more or less regular towns, Lohiniva is a tiny village (a few dozen inhabitants). I.e. none are such that one should consider them as their primary destination for visiting Finland.