Hairdresser migration to Finland

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
EgorStetsenko

Post by EgorStetsenko » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:36 am

Hello guys!
Can you help me to find out - what do I need to work as a hairdresser in Finland?

I am a Russian citizen by now, looking forward to move to Finland.
Have been working as a hairdresser for 12 years.

Do I need to prove my skills? Do I need to get a certification somehow?

Big thanks for any information on the topic!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Hairdresser migration to Finland

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:50 pm

EgorStetsenko wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:36 am
Hello guys!
Can you help me to find out - what do I need to work as a hairdresser in Finland?

I am a Russian citizen by now, looking forward to move to Finland.
Have been working as a hairdresser for 12 years.

Do I need to prove my skills? Do I need to get a certification somehow?

Big thanks for any information on the topic!
"Apply for a residence permit with this application if you are coming to Finland to work for a Finnish employer or other employer operating in Finland and you have signed a contract of employment or accepted a binding job offer. A residence permit for an employed person is connected with labour market testing, which means that the employer must establish if there is available labour force within a reasonable time in Finland or within the EU/EEA for the work in question."

https://migri.fi/en/residence-permit-fo ... yed-person

inkku

Post by inkku » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:17 pm

To my understanding most hairdressers are self employed, they hire "a chair" in a hairdressing salon. So not sure how easy it would be to get a work contract.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:42 pm

inkku wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:17 pm
To my understanding most hairdressers are self employed, they hire "a chair" in a hairdressing salon. So not sure how easy it would be to get a work contract.
Self employed would go trough the entrepreneur permit. At least there's no labor market testing but how another question is how favourably Ely react.

https://migri.fi/en/entrepreneur

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:07 pm

inkku wrote:
To my understanding most hairdressers are self employed, they hire "a chair" in a hairdressing salon.
This sounds like Finnish hairdressers working in an established salon.

The many young men who came as refugees from Syria who are opening (and often closing after bankruptcy) own salons all over Kallio have a different business model.

inkku

Post by inkku » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:04 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:07 pm
inkku wrote:
To my understanding most hairdressers are self employed, they hire "a chair" in a hairdressing salon.
This sounds like Finnish hairdressers working in an established salon.

The many young men who came as refugees from Syria who are opening (and often closing after bankruptcy) own salons all over Kallio have a different business model.
Yeah, they might be different. Those places actually look more like social clubs, usually full of guys. No idea, who is the actual owner and professional, how many they are there and how they do it in general.