Remigration Permit - potential reasons for denial?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
NanBTurku

Post by NanBTurku » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:34 am

My grandfather was born in Finland and I have ALL the proper documentation (birth/death certificates, apostilles, etc.). We have formally applied through the Finnish Embassy in Los Angeles on 7 March 2022. Neither my husband nor I have any criminal record and we’re retired US citizens. We know the processing will take from 8-11 months.

Question: What possible reason(s) might this approval be denied? We are visiting Turku now and are looking for homes. We may want to purchase one before we leave. We feel confident that our remigration permit request will be approved, but are wondering what factors might prevent it?

Any thoughts?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Remigration Permit - potential reasons for denial?

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:40 am

NanBTurku wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:34 am
My grandfather was born in Finland and I have ALL the proper documentation (birth/death certificates, apostilles, etc.). We have formally applied through the Finnish Embassy in Los Angeles on 7 March 2022. Neither my husband nor I have any criminal record and we’re retired US citizens.
I assume he was not only born in Finland, but was also a Finn.
The US are the exception where being born in the country alone grants citizenship, this is not true in other countries.

Doing the math, your grandfather was likely born at a time when Finland was part of Russia.
Finnish citizens and Russian citizens were distinct even at that time, with different passports.
NanBTurku wrote:
We know the processing will take from 8-11 months.

Question: What possible reason(s) might this approval be denied? We are visiting Turku now and are looking for homes. We may want to purchase one before we leave. We feel confident that our remigration permit request will be approved, but are wondering what factors might prevent it?
If you fulfil the requirements and provided all required documents, then it should be approved.

NanBTurku

Post by NanBTurku » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:53 am

Thank you. We have indeed provided all necessary legal documents and meet the other requirements. Now I guess we just have to be patient. Kiitos.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:31 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:40 am
NanBTurku wrote:
My grandfather was born in Finland and I have ALL the proper documentation (birth/death certificates, apostilles, etc.). We have formally applied through the Finnish Embassy in Los Angeles on 7 March 2022. Neither my husband nor I have any criminal record and we’re retired US citizens.
I assume he was not only born in Finland, but was also a Finn.
The US are the exception where being born in the country alone grants citizenship, this is not true in other countries.
In most other countries. US is not the only country doing jus soli.
FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:40 am
Doing the math, your grandfather was likely born at a time when Finland was part of Russia.
Finnish citizens and Russian citizens were distinct even at that time, with different passports.
NanBTurku wrote:
We know the processing will take from 8-11 months.

If you fulfil the requirements and provided all required documents, then it should be approved.
Many have an overly complicated idea about permit processing. The requirements are publicly stated and the official will check that required evidence is provided. With properly legalised documents and no EU history, there's really nothing for them to look at beyond reading the documents provided.