tallow?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
agroot

tallow?

Post by agroot » Sun May 08, 2022 8:25 pm

figured why my home-cooked Japanese curry sucks - there is no tallow! Not beef stock or lard, they are cheesy - it has to be tallow or very fat beef.

But where is tallow? A quick search shows nothing except maybe dog food (since when do dogs eat better than humans?!)

The closest suppliers are from Germany but the shelf life of tallow isn't really long and I want a more reliable source (to replace all the tasteless oils in the end). Have anyone spotted them here? Or know any good substitute?

tallow?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: tallow?

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Sun May 08, 2022 8:41 pm

agroot wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 8:25 pm
figured why my home-cooked Japanese curry sucks - there is no tallow! Not beef stock or lard, they are cheesy - it has to be tallow or very fat beef.

But where is tallow? A quick search shows nothing except maybe dog food (since when do dogs eat better than humans?!)

The closest suppliers are from Germany but the shelf life of tallow isn't really long and I want a more reliable source (to replace all the tasteless oils in the end). Have anyone spotted them here? Or know any good substitute?
There's a beef fat product (I've no idea if rendered or not), but doesn't seem to be available in any K-chain stores https://www.k-ruoka.fi/kauppa/tuote/ron ... 0943700008 Maybe you can ask your local store owner to get you some.

(I searched "naudan rasva" which that actually is)

agroot

Post by agroot » Mon May 09, 2022 2:10 am

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 8:41 pm
There's a beef fat product (I've no idea if rendered or not), but doesn't seem to be available in any K-chain stores https://www.k-ruoka.fi/kauppa/tuote/ron ... 0943700008 Maybe you can ask your local store owner to get you some.

(I searched "naudan rasva" which that actually is)
Thanks I'll ask them :D

EDIT: It doesn't seem to exist at source anymore: https://www.kespro.com/haku/tuotteet?ka ... 4%20Naudan (that's where they told me to order off-shelf products to a supermarket)

inkku

Post by inkku » Mon May 09, 2022 10:19 pm

You can request your k-market to order it ( it is called korttelitoive).
Contact the manufacturer: https://tuotteet.ronka.fi/ronka-naudan- ... kaste-8437
It seems some people who are following keto- diet use it.
You could try the meat shops at kauppahalli near marketplaces (Hakaniemi or kauppatori). Or other meat shops?
Join a REKO group and ask the meat supplier for it.

agroot

Post by agroot » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:41 am

got some from abroad, but after-smell is really bad, on the same level as fish smell.

And metal cans seem very unsafe because the surface can be easily scratched.

inkku

Post by inkku » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:17 pm

did you try REKO?

agroot

Post by agroot » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:03 pm

inkku wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:17 pm
did you try REKO?
Thanks. Not yet... Just moved and need to check local meat shops. Probably not tallow (because of after-smell) but there are now more important things such as lamb chop :D

inkku

Post by inkku » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:37 am

ok, but REKO will bring you stuff straight from the producers. And you can get a direct contact to them. If you cook a lot at home, REKO would be the best solution imo.
you can join your local REKO on fb, and then follow what kind of products you can buy there. The Reko in my area has at least two meat producers or even more.