Citizenship application family of three

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Alpenuser

Post by Alpenuser » Thu May 19, 2022 4:07 am

Hello, we (me, my wife and a kid) have been living in Finland for about four years and next year we are planning to apply for Finnish citizenship. We are from a non-european country. I have a few questions about the application process and i would be very greatful for any help.

First, do we need to apply for the citizenship for our child? If we do how the process differ? Does the child need to know Finnish? And if she does need, how they are gonna test it because the kid is only 5 years old.

Second do we need to apply for the citizenship all at the same time? Or we can start applying for the citizenship separately?

All help is very much appreciated.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Citizenship application family of three

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu May 19, 2022 12:15 pm

Alpenuser wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 4:07 am
Hello, we (me, my wife and a kid) have been living in Finland for about four years and next year we are planning to apply for Finnish citizenship. We are from a non-european country. I have a few questions about the application process and i would be very greatful for any help.
https://migri.fi/en/citizenship-application
Alpenuser wrote:
First, do we need to apply for the citizenship for our child?
Yes.
When parents acquire or lose citizenships after the birth of the child, this does not affect the citizenships of the child.
Alpenuser wrote:
If we do how the process differ?
The child applies together with a parent.
Alpenuser wrote:
Does the child need to know Finnish?
No.
Alpenuser wrote:
Second do we need to apply for the citizenship all at the same time? Or we can start applying for the citizenship separately?
The child should apply with a parent, parents apply separately and might also be eligible for citizenship at different times.

Alpenuser

Re: Citizenship application family of three

Post by Alpenuser » Thu May 19, 2022 3:48 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:15 pm
Alpenuser wrote:
https://migri.fi/en/citizenship-application
Alpenuser wrote:
First, do we need to apply for the citizenship for our child?
Yes.
When parents acquire or lose citizenships after the birth of the child, this does not affect the citizenships of the child.
Alpenuser wrote:
If we do how the process differ?
The child applies together with a parent.
Alpenuser wrote:
Does the child need to know Finnish?
No.
Alpenuser wrote:
The child should apply with a parent, parents apply separately and might also be eligible for citizenship at different times.

Thank you very much. All my questions were answered in one post :thumbsup: