Divorce and applying for a different RP

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Souverian

Post by Souverian » Thu May 12, 2022 2:29 pm

Hey all, I'm in a pretty sad/terrible pickle... I moved here last year to finally marry my partner of 4 years, and now one year later (actually literally on the first anniversary of our wedding, happy anniversary to me) he's asking for a divorce. I was granted a one-year RP in October last year.

So obviously, having been married only a year, it seems pretty damn unlikely that if we file for divorce now, I'll be granted an extension to my RP based on family ties. So I'm scrambling to find full time work (which has been a constant struggle since I got my RP, since my Finnish skills are still A2). I want to stay in Finland, I don't want to have to leave. My question is, can I apply for a work-based RP while I'm still on an RP based on family ties and we HAVEN'T started the divorce proceedings yet? Will Migri/Immigration blanch at that at all? And when would be the best time to apply for the work-based RP?

Also if anyone needs a full-time entry-level/junior UX/UI designer or an editor/proofreader of translated or English texts, hit me up.

Thanks everyone.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Divorce and applying for a different RP

Post by Upphew » Thu May 12, 2022 9:07 pm

Souverian wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 2:29 pm
Hey all, I'm in a pretty sad/terrible pickle... I moved here last year to finally marry my partner of 4 years, and now one year later (actually literally on the first anniversary of our wedding, happy anniversary to me) he's asking for a divorce. I was granted a one-year RP in October last year.

So obviously, having been married only a year, it seems pretty damn unlikely that if we file for divorce now, I'll be granted an extension to my RP based on family ties. So I'm scrambling to find full time work (which has been a constant struggle since I got my RP, since my Finnish skills are still A2). I want to stay in Finland, I don't want to have to leave. My question is, can I apply for a work-based RP while I'm still on an RP based on family ties and we HAVEN'T started the divorce proceedings yet? Will Migri/Immigration blanch at that at all? And when would be the best time to apply for the work-based RP?

Also if anyone needs a full-time entry-level/junior UX/UI designer or an editor/proofreader of translated or English texts, hit me up.

Thanks everyone.
Afaik you don't need new RP before the existing one runs out or you are divorced. You get divorce after 6 months consideration period. You are married during that.
https://oikeus.fi/tuomioistuimet/en/ind ... ioero.html
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Thu May 12, 2022 9:45 pm

I would ask your husband to please consider waiting to file for divorce until you get your next permit which is a 4 year one. If he agrees, be aware that Migri also checks population register so don’t change your address from same as his even if you physically move elsewhere. In my opinion this is not too much to ask of him since you have moved your whole life here. I wish you best of luck and am so sorry to hear you are in this situation.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu May 19, 2022 6:06 pm

Souverian wrote:
I was granted a one-year RP in October last year.
Upphew wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 9:07 pm
Afaik you don't need new RP before the existing one runs out or you are divorced. You get divorce after 6 months consideration period. You are married during that.
That's true for the existing RP, but for the extension this is asked from the sponsor:
Form for clarification of family ties for sponsor wrote: 3. Are you going to continue your family life by living together in Finland?
4. Do you and your spouse have a divorce pending at the moment?
heretostay wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 9:45 pm
I would ask your husband to please consider waiting to file for divorce until you get your next permit which is a 4 year one. If he agrees, be aware that Migri also checks population register so don’t change your address from same as his even if you physically move
A residence permit can be cancelled when the reason for it no longer exists, and false statements about claiming an intention of continue the family life in Finland would be a punishable act also for the sponsor.
Souverian wrote:
My question is, can I apply for a work-based RP while I'm still on an RP based on family ties and we HAVEN'T started the divorce proceedings yet? Will Migri/Immigration blanch at that at all? And when would be the best time to apply for the work-based RP?
With a job you can apply for the extension on new grounds (work instead of family ties).
You could do that even if you were still happily married without anyone ever considering a divorce.