Traveling as a dual citizen

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
akuno_hime_1412

Post by akuno_hime_1412 » Mon May 23, 2022 6:49 am

Hello,

I have obtained my Finnish citizenship and passport not long ago and was going to travel for the first time in many years. I have a question regarding which passport should be used when traveling?

For example if I’m traveling to my non-EU country at birth, I should show my Finnish passport at border control in Finland when I’m exiting, but which passport should I use to book ticket with and show at check-in counter? Should it still be the Finnish one or the one that grant me the right to entry, e.g. my home country passport?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Traveling as a dual citizen

Post by betelgeuse » Mon May 23, 2022 10:34 am

akuno_hime_1412 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 6:49 am
Hello,

I have obtained my Finnish citizenship and passport not long ago and was going to travel for the first time in many years. I have a question regarding which passport should be used when traveling?

For example if I’m traveling to my non-EU country at birth, I should show my Finnish passport at border control in Finland when I’m exiting, but which passport should I use to book ticket with and show at check-in counter? Should it still be the Finnish one or the one that grant me the right to entry, e.g. my home country passport?
Often no passport information is needed to create the booking. At check-in you should give the passport based on the destination country.

akuno_hime_1412

Post by akuno_hime_1412 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:51 am

Thank you betelgeuse,

I booked the ticket without specifying my passport number. As I’m trying to do the online check-in, the airline asked for passport info such as number, issuing authority, expiry date etc, so I’m confused if i put my non-Finnish passport number there and proceed to border control with a Finnish passport to exit, will it create a discrepancy anyhow. I have always travel with only one passport so this has gotten a bit confusing 😅

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon May 23, 2022 12:52 pm

akuno_hime_1412 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:51 am
I booked the ticket without specifying my passport number. As I’m trying to do the online check-in, the airline asked for passport info such as number, issuing authority, expiry date etc, so I’m confused if i put my non-Finnish passport number there and proceed to border control with a Finnish passport to exit, will it create a discrepancy anyhow. I have always travel with only one passport so this has gotten a bit confusing 😅
Dual citizens are a regular occurance for border control. In Finland you can just use the machines and they will let a Finnish passport holder through.

choxobooze

Post by choxobooze » Mon May 23, 2022 3:10 pm

akuno_hime_1412 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 6:49 am
Hello,

Thank you in advance.
You should also check if you have still retained your original citizenship, because often (not all countries I think?) when they get naturalized or get a new citizenship , their old citizenship gets revoked automatically.