Bank account and online banking

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
james81

Post by james81 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:07 pm

Hello
Today I went to s pannki for open a bank account but for debit cost every month 5e and for online banking is 15e every month and this is much .

I been also in op bank and it’s look like not easy to have a bank account.

I have a residence permit and this was for my first account. So anyone has similar statuation and some advice about banks and how to handle this things . Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Bank account and online banking

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:58 pm

james81 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:07 pm
Hello
Today I went to s pannki for open a bank account but for debit cost every month 5e and for online banking is 15e every month and this is much .

I have a residence permit and this was for my first account. So anyone has similar statuation and some advice about banks and how to handle this things . Thanks
S-Bank is free when you also become a co-op member.

gramirezv

Post by gramirezv » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:29 am

For me OP was a lot of waiting and didn't get to open anything it was almost as if they didn't want to open my account. I went to S-pankki and opened my account in the spot. I just put down the 100€ to become a co-op member and debit and online is free. And of course depending on how much and where you buy you can get those 100€ euros back as bonus fairly quick

tantrum

Post by tantrum » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:10 am

What is the reason for it being so hard and long to open these accounts?

I am looking to move to Finland later in the year and am preparing. An accountant told me getting an appointment and the ID codes with Nordea can take months. That seems crazy to me. Why is this happening with some banks?

She suggested S-Pankki, because "it is not the best bank but it is fast". I checked their website and there is no English version, but I speak Swedish. Does anyone know if their online banking and service is fully supported in Swedish too?

gramirezv

Post by gramirezv » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:44 am

Yes, S-Pankki has all their documents available in swedish as well as their website, mobile app and customer service.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:52 am

Leaflet wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:04 pm
It's extremely hard to open a bank account, and sometimes you pay more taxes than the bank tells you initially.
Why would they give tax advice? Usually quite the opposite in that they go to great lengths to avoid giving any.

agroot

Post by agroot » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:10 pm

james81 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:07 pm

It's fast at OP.

Book an appointment. Bring your permit, work contract and initial deposit in cash. Then it's done and they will send you the cards in mail in 1-2 weeks I recall.

You can get free online ID immediately after you get the ID card from police station.

online ID from bank is not that convenient and you'll likely replace it with mobile ID (linked to phone number) later.

CaliforniaTim

Post by CaliforniaTim » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:04 pm

Do you actually receive better service or perks for paying a monthly fee at a "traditional" bank in Finland as opposed to an online bank like N26?

Are there any major benefits like no ATM fees, no foreign transaction fees, easier to get a loan, etc.?

gramirezv

Post by gramirezv » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:18 am

The main "perk" from a Finnish bank is that you get banking ID, which you can use virtually for any bureaucratic matter online. Like logging in to government services, Migri, make payments, etc.

I have been in Finland for 1.5 years and banking ID has been enough for me, I haven't had the need to get mobile ID (which is another form of strong identification used in Finland tied to your phone number). And believe me, being able to do almost everything online has been a game changer for me here in Finland.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:29 am

CaliforniaTim wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:04 pm
Do you actually receive better service or perks for paying a monthly fee at a "traditional" bank in Finland as opposed to an online bank like N26?

Are there any major benefits like no ATM fees, no foreign transaction fees, easier to get a loan, etc.?
You will only be able to receive e-invoices to a local bank. For example, N26 does not participate in the system.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:21 pm

yrtti wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:02 pm

Mobile ID is not strong authentication.
Hogwash.

” Suomessa valtaosa vahvasta sähköisestä tunnistamisesta tapahtuu pankkien myöntämien verkkopankkitunnusten ja teleyritysten mobiilivarmenteiden avulla. ”

https://www.signicat.com/fi/blogi/vahva ... tautuminen
yrtti wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:02 pm
Nor does it work with eSIM either. You need a physical SIM for it.
Plus to get mobile ID you need some kind of bankID first anyway.

The best way to do this is make an account. Authenticate yourself.
Open Mobile ID with a physical SIM.
Close your bank account.

Downside is that you can never change your number or provider. Otherwise you have to authenticate again with bankID.
Don’t they allow the id card to be used with a card reader for the initial setup?

Leaflet

Post by Leaflet » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:19 pm

I think you can do that, especially with the covid situation a lot of people can't come sometime before starting the courses to pay the uni.