Self-employed residence permit when opening a business?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
pnary

Post by pnary » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:28 pm

I'm making arrangements to move to Finland from America as a self-employed entity. Currently, I have more than enough work from my American clients to pay my expenses (and can do said work remotely), but to my understanding a work permit for an entrepreneur requires that I have Finnish clients. However, I have also seen reference to opening a business in Finland and working there - would that be adequate? If I opened a business in Finland and worked for it, would I still need Finnish clients to be eligible for a self-employed work permit?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Self-employed residence permit when opening a business?

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:04 pm

pnary wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:28 pm
I'm making arrangements to move to Finland from America as a self-employed entity. Currently, I have more than enough work from my American clients to pay my expenses (and can do said work remotely), but to my understanding a work permit for an entrepreneur requires that I have Finnish clients.
It is not a strict requirement to have Finnish clients, but there has to be a reason why you are asking to be granted a Finnish residence permit for your business activities.
pnary wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:28 pm
However, I have also seen reference to opening a business in Finland and working there - would that be adequate? If I opened a business in Finland and worked for it, would I still need Finnish clients to be eligible for a self-employed work permit?
Opening a business in Finland is the normal way to work as an entrepreneur with a Finnish residence permit after being granted a residence permit.

pnary

Post by pnary » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:13 pm

Ah, okay. Do you know - if I entered Finland on a residence permit for other grounds (such as a student visa or a fixed-term contract) and, while on that permit, started my business, would I be able to remain in Finland on the grounds of self-employment after my studies or fixed-term contract finished?

Or would I still require a reason why my work must be performed in Finland? Would simply being personally established in Finland not be adequate?

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:56 am

pnary wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:13 pm
if I entered Finland on a residence permit for other grounds (such as a student visa or a fixed-term contract) and, while on that permit, started my business,
Whether starting a business is permitted while on a residence permit for different grounds depends on the residence permit and its conditions.
pnary wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:13 pm
would I be able to remain in Finland on the grounds of self-employment after my studies or fixed-term contract finished?

Or would I still require a reason why my work must be performed in Finland? Would simply being personally established in Finland not be adequate?
A temporary residence permit for the duration of a short fixed-term contract itself is not a reason for being granted further stay in Finland.

Graduation from a Finnish university waives some requirements, and it is quite common that foreign graduates who did not learn Finnish become entrepreneurs being granted a residence permit for their business of driving for Uber or delivering food.