Understanding KAN 9 Request to Determine Citizenship Status

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
colorado_person

Post by colorado_person » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:57 pm

Specifically I am wondering about the item, a required supplementary paperwork:
Documents on the citizenship of your parent(s) at the time you were born: This can be,for example, a copy of the naturalisation certificate of your parent(s) or of a documentgranting the right of residence in another country, if your parent(s) still have Finnish citizenship.
For someone with a Finnish mother, who only has ever had Finnish citizenship, I am trying to understand what the best documentation of this would be. For example, she may not still have her 1990s passport or US immigration (residency) documents. Can "virkatodistus", extract from the Finnish Population Information System fulfill this requirement? Or, is that overkill, and simply her passport and ID # could work? It seems that if she is in the Finnish system, and has never held another passport, this should not be too complicated (but I am likely underestimating things).

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

browndude

Re: Understanding KAN 9 Request to Determine Citizenship Status

Post by browndude » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:51 pm

The virkatodistus should be adequate. You should ask Migri directly though.
ImageImage

FinlandGirl

Re: Understanding KAN 9 Request to Determine Citizenship Status

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:49 am

colorado_person wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:57 pm
Specifically I am wondering about the item, a required supplementary paperwork:
Documents on the citizenship of your parent(s) at the time you were born: This can be,for example, a copy of the naturalisation certificate of your parent(s) or of a document granting the right of residence in another country, if your parent(s) still have Finnish citizenship.
For someone with a Finnish mother, who only has ever had Finnish citizenship, I am trying to understand what the best documentation of this would be. For example, she may not still have her 1990s passport or US immigration (residency) documents. Can "virkatodistus", extract from the Finnish Population Information System fulfill this requirement?
It would be pointless since Migri can access the Finnish Population Information System.
colorado_person wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:57 pm
Or, is that overkill, and simply her passport and ID # could work? It seems that if she is in the Finnish system, and has never held another passport, this should not be too complicated (but I am likely underestimating things).
Finland did not permit dual citizenship in the 1990s, the document should help answer whether she ever lost her Finnish citizenship by acquiring another citizenship.

Your mother might have some US document stating she is a non-US citizen residing in the US on a visa since before your birth.