DVV registration before finding accommodation?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
tantrum

Post by tantrum » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:19 am

I am non-EU and have a residence permit for 1 year starting soon. At the moment, I am still outside Finland, but plan to arrive a few days before my RP starts (I don't need a visa for entry). So far I have a RP card with my personal ID number on it and a bit of paper that says "extract from the population information system in Finland".

I understand there are several things I need to do to get set up, but am a bit stuck on getting started. I have read that I am meant to visit DVV as soon as possible after arrival to be "registered as officially resident". For that visit, I am meant to fill in the "THE REGISTRATION INFORMATION
OF A FOREIGNER" form. On this there is a section "Address in Finland".

Should I be delaying the DVV visit until I have longer-term accommodation, or should I do the visit even if I am still staying in a hotel and looking for a place?

I haven't been able to find anything online addressing this. I emailed DVV and they haven't replied and I would like to make the appointment soon, if I know that it's OK if I am still looking for a place to live (but already in the country). Thanks for any tips!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: DVV registration before finding accommodation?

Post by heretostay » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:08 am

You will need a residential address to register. Not a hotel. So my advice is to wait until you have a residential address to register. You could register a hotel as a temporary address but that doesn’t give you access to local municipal services and things like reduced public transport fees.

tantrum

Re: DVV registration before finding accommodation?

Post by tantrum » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:20 am

Thanks for the info. I thought I wouldn't get access to the municipal services anyway, because my permit is not for longer than a year.

So I guess I can't start on getting a bank account until I have a residential address either? I was just worried if it took me a few weeks to find a place, then all the other things I need to do get delayed as well.