Asokodit EV charging

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
frankbaozhu

Asokodit EV charging

Post by frankbaozhu » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:31 pm

Guys, I ordered an EV and was pondering about my options for charging. We are tenants of Asokodit and I have a schuko socket outside. Does anyone know if it is permitted to charge a EV using the home charger on a schuko at low Amp like 8? Is it safe to do so?

Asokodit EV charging

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: Asokodit EV charging

Post by heretostay » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:50 pm

Most housing companies forbid it for safety reasons. Check with yours.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:32 pm

heretostay wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:50 pm
Most housing companies forbid it for safety reasons. Check with yours.
Most housing companies also limit the use time with the outside car warmer socket with an in-build clock to only 2 hours every 24 hours (or you have to manually change the time every 2 hours for continuous charging)
Also there is a wattage limit of 800W (± 3,4A at 230V) per socket in most housing companies (at least where I have lived).

If you use any other outside socket connected to your house wall, there will most likely be a cable going from you house to the car over a walking path or other piece of public space, this is not permitted either.

So I highly doubt that it will be possible / useful at all regardless all the safety issues.

Best thing is to have a certified charging station installed by a certified company or by the housing company.
It would be weird if it would not be allowed to have it installed because of the future banning of sales of gasoline vehicles would imply non of the residents would be able to buy and use a new car after this date.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:47 pm

NukkuMatti wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:32 pm
It would be weird if it would not be allowed to have it installed because of the future banning of sales of gasoline vehicles would imply non of the residents would be able to buy and use a new car after this date.
You can charge your EV at a metered charging station elsewhere, like you do with gasoline vehicles.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:26 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:47 pm
NukkuMatti wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:32 pm
You can charge your EV at a metered charging station elsewhere, like you do with gasoline vehicles.
sorry ... was gone for a while, guess the thread got cold by now but let me reply on the remark above.

When living in Finland, one can easily get temperatures far below zero, especially when living in a rural a little more north than Helsinki area, this can mean the trip to the charging station will be just enough charge to get you home but then it is empty. so what then? Normally with a gasoline vehicle, these do not get a limited range due to very low temperatures, (and when empty, you can go get a jerrycan with gasoline). EV's do get a limited range at subzero temperatures.... Charging with a normal jatkojohto with these temperatures will instead of charge, discharge your battery due to the needed heating of the battery for charging, the heating uses more electricity than you can charge with the normal 16 Amp max wall socket (according to youtube).
Several examples were shown on Internet about Tesla's with this problem in winter. It said on the meter a range of 60 miles, but when driving with -15°F it would get you only 5 miles.
Therefore... home charging station is basically a must to be able to use an electric car in a country with lots of (very) subzero temperatures.... like Finland.
Your only hope would be global warming... so then why buy an EV :D

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:03 am

NukkuMatti wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:26 pm
Normally with a gasoline vehicle, these do not get a limited range due to very low temperatures, (and when empty, you can go get a jerrycan with gasoline). EV's do get a limited range at subzero temperatures....
Both get limited range at subzero temperatures. Without preheating the gas engine you can see double the consumption for the first 5 or 10 km.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

DMC

Post by DMC » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:06 am

Upphew wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:03 am
NukkuMatti wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:26 pm
Normally with a gasoline vehicle, these do not get a limited range due to very low temperatures, (and when empty, you can go get a jerrycan with gasoline). EV's do get a limited range at subzero temperatures....
Both get limited range at subzero temperatures. Without preheating the gas engine you can see double the consumption for the first 5 or 10 km.
For a gas engine the start-up fuel consumption and resulting range reduction, whilst it is an expense, is unlikely to cause a problem with being able to refuel. Surely any car running on petrol or diesel will have a range of some hundreds of kilometres, so reducing that by 10km will have no impact on your ability to reach a fuel station.

I have no idea if an electric vehicle would have a problem reaching a re-charging point in extreme cold. I would hope and expect not, but have no knowledge of the subject. If it would, I regard EVs as being unsuitable for use in Finland.

I would think, though, that for many people (me included) this is not relevant because one of the main attractions of an EV is to be able to charge at home and eliminate stopping at fuel/recharge stations (almost) entirely. Whether I could reach a charging point would make little or no difference to me. Having to reach a charging point would put me off buying an EV.

Frank, what really puzzles me is why you would order an EV before checking on your ability to charge it. Is there a story behind that?

frankbaozhu

Post by frankbaozhu » Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:26 pm

I just googled up my own post haha. Sorry for the late reply.

I phoned Askodit and it is strictly prohibiting charing from a normal schuko socket because this is a fire hazard, especial when the wiring is old. My neighbour put his hybrid on it all day and seems to be fine because the AMP is quite small for a small battery. I will have to either install something in the parking lot or change my outlet into a charing station.

Thanks all for the input. My car is arriving in Q4 this year.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:17 pm

frankbaozhu wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:26 pm
I just googled up my own post haha. Sorry for the late reply.

I phoned Askodit and it is strictly prohibiting charing from a normal schuko socket because this is a fire hazard, especial when the wiring is old. My neighbour put his hybrid on it all day and seems to be fine because the AMP is quite small for a small battery.
It’s not really about the battery size with regular socket charging. BEVs can charge with the same low power as PHEVs.

https://sesko.fi/standardointi/sahkoaut ... ssuositus/