Yield sign with traffic light?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
jperickson

Post by jperickson » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:14 pm

I don't drive that often in Finland, but recently I noticed in Vaasa and Oulu that there are many intersections with both a yield sign (triangle) and a traffic light for the same lane. What does this mean? I have never really seen it around Tampere where I live. My only guess is that it means I have to yield if the light isn't on (at night, for example). Thank you for any info!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

esimerkki

Re: Yield sign with traffic light?

Post by esimerkki » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:06 pm

jperickson wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:14 pm
I don't drive that often in Finland, but recently I noticed in Vaasa and Oulu that there are many intersections with both a yield sign (triangle) and a traffic light for the same lane. What does this mean? I have never really seen it around Tampere where I live. My only guess is that it means I have to yield if the light isn't on (at night, for example). Thank you for any info!
Always policeman signaling > the traffic light > the traffic sign > traffic rule (for example to yield to the one on your right).

riku2

Re: Yield sign with traffic light?

Post by riku2 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:34 pm

jperickson wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:14 pm
I have to yield if the light isn't on (at night, for example)
This is correct. Some cities turn off the traffic lights at certain off peak times although the first time you use this kind of junction at exactly the time the lights turn off then it's a bit confusing (they have not thought about people encountering this situation).
In the USA when the lights run in off peak mode then traffic approaching that has to give way gets a flashing red and traffic approaching from the direction with priority gets a flashing amber. This is actually prohibited under Finnish traffic law. The lights can flash only if there is a malfunction, no flashing (of any kind) is allowed in scheduled off peak mode.
That can be added to the other strange things in the traffic laws .. it's optional to paint white bars on the road surface for pedestrian crossing (putting up just a tiny sign is allowed), impossible for anyone (cyclists or motorists) to really understand where bikes have priority on crossings, not writing into law the proper way for cars to signal when turning at roundabouts AND HAVING ROAD SIGNS IN ALL UPPER CASE..DON'T THEY REALISE PEOPLE CAN READ THINGS QUICKER WHEN THINGS ARE IN MIXED CASE!
On the other hand they have created extra employment for the people who make those two way arrow signs for bike paths. About 98% of bike paths are two way but now there must be the stupid two arrows sign added. And good luck understanding what one arrow on it's own means. It's not a one way bike path even though two arrows means a two way bike path!!