Lasik

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
nikskate

Lasik

Post by nikskate » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:22 pm

Has anyone undergone a lasik treatment here? I appreciate if you share your experience, tips, or price info anywhere in Uusimaa or even Estonia.

Lasik

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Lasik

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:54 pm

nikskate wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:22 pm
Has anyone undergone a lasik treatment here? I appreciate if you share your experience, tips, or price info anywhere in Uusimaa or even Estonia.
Price information you can find from the providers' websites (Google "silmän laserleikkaus"), the prices vary depending on the type of the procedure, the most suitable type (or if any of the procedures can be done) depends on one's eyes. I had eye laser treatment done 10+ years ago, don't remember exactly but possibly Silmäasema/Silmäsairaala Helsinki (it was in Makkaratalo building) and SMILE. Took two visits, one for the initial checkup and one for the procedure itself. The procedure was over in a couple of minutes total (both eyes treated), it was done in the afternoon and the next morning my vision was fine in order to drive to work. I suppose it can take a while to get used to seeing a bit "differently", especially if the eye dominance changes. I didn't experience any major discomfort after the procedure nor have needed glasses since. YMMV, a friend of mine who is close to my age had the same procedure done a year or two earlier at the same place, is now using reading glasses.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:41 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:54 pm
a friend of mine who is close to my age had the same procedure done a year or two earlier at the same place, is now using reading glasses.
This is something I didn't realise at first but i'm glad it put me off having the treatment: If you wear glasses for long distance sight then as you get older you might have to take them off to read. But if you have your vision corrected by laser then it's like wearing glasses you cannot remove - you will have to wear reading glasses to see things close up.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:20 am

riku2 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:41 pm
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
a friend of mine who is close to my age had the same procedure done a year or two earlier at the same place, is now using reading glasses.
This is something I didn't realise at first but i'm glad it put me off having the treatment: If you wear glasses for long distance sight then as you get older you might have to take them off to read. But if you have your vision corrected by laser then it's like wearing glasses you cannot remove - you will have to wear reading glasses to see things close up.
AFAIK the laser treatments do not prevent or stop age-related eyesight changes, even those with perfect 20-20 vision throughout their lives may have to get reading classes eventually. If someone is contemplating getting laser eye treatment, I'd recommend having the initial check-ups done. It may cost a couple of hundred euros, but at least then it's clear what the options are, one can discuss their own particular case with a professional and consider things with all the facts at hand.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:13 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:20 am
riku2 wrote:
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
AFAIK the laser treatments do not prevent or stop age-related eyesight changes, even those with perfect 20-20 vision throughout their lives may have to get reading classes eventually. If someone is contemplating getting laser eye treatment, I'd recommend having the initial check-ups done. It may cost a couple of hundred euros, but at least then it's clear what the options are, one can discuss their own particular case with a professional and consider things with all the facts at hand.

Not accurate. My mom had laser surgery for age related changes about 12 years ago and has not needed glasses. Perfect vision until 40s then laser surgery at age 50 in her case.

https://www.webmd.com/connect-to-care/l ... ightedness

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:44 pm

heretostay wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:13 pm
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:20 am
riku2 wrote:

Not accurate. My mom had laser surgery for age related changes about 12 years ago and has not needed glasses. Perfect vision until 40s then laser surgery at age 50 in her case.

https://www.webmd.com/connect-to-care/l ... ightedness
The link pretty much says what I did, it's always a one-off correction, having the treatment can correct one's eyesight (at present) but it doesn't stop the eyes changing over time.