Preparing for first winter in Finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
sw_star

Post by sw_star » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

I moved to Finland a month ago and this is going to be my first winter. I would like to know what to purchase for winter wear - sweater,jackets,inner layer,leggings,thermal,socks,cap,scarves etc. Where to purchase it at discounted price- which mall ?

Any help will be appreciated!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

inkku

Re: Preparing for first winter in Finland

Post by inkku » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:49 pm

You could check what the thrift shops have. UFF, FIDA. My favourite is the SPR Kontti, run by the Red Cross of Finland. I have bought so much stuff there, I really do like their shops.
Once you know what you need or want to use, you could invest in new items. The major sales are just before or after Christmas before New Year.

agroot

Post by agroot » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:29 pm

You missed the sale period already - it's right after winter.

The only thing IMO worth spending tons of money on is the jacket, and better to check sport shops like Scandinavian Outdoor or brand stores like Halti where you can find winter sport clothing.

Even under -20 with long walk outside I never needed sweater, scarf or anything wool. It's enough with a good jacket, any beanie, any long john with cheap outdoor pants and all weather boots.

Don't forget to get a pair of shoe spikes in case snow is turned into slippery ice - if you haven't tried, believe me it'd be the most terrifying thing to walk down a frozen path, even if it's only 5 meters long.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:55 am

sw_star wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:35 pm
Hi Everyone,

I moved to Finland a month ago and this is going to be my first winter. I would like to know what to purchase for winter wear - sweater,jackets,inner layer,leggings,thermal,socks,cap,scarves etc. Where to purchase it at discounted price- which mall ?

Dressing appropriately for the weather does not mean you should pile on all your clothing when it gets a bit chilly. There's nothing wrong with being prepared, but it makes sense to consider also how much in your daily life you'd be exposed to cold. The list you have sounds like you're planning to spend a lot of time (hours on end) outside with little activity, or are preparing for -20C temperatures. Winter weather in southern Finland is very different to that of northern Finland, think of 0C (give or take a few degrees) and sleet vs -10C or colder being the norm.

Feeling a bit cold initially (every year) comes with the territory, it's a losing battle trying to feel all warm and fuzzy all the time. The sensation of cold (air on one's skin or lungs) is not the same as being cold (where one's body temperature starts dropping), so while it can be uncomfortable at first (especially if it's a completely new sensation), it's not dangerous. One gets used to the cold within a couple of weeks *) (having been outside on a somewhat daily basis, obviously), and something that gave you chills initially won't be so bad anymore. It's not unlike the spring/summer, when the first +25C weather after the winter may feel all too warm, and in June one wouldn't think twice about it.

I have no suggestions for discounted winter wear, for warmth, personally I use merino wool products by Varusteleka https://www.varusteleka.com/en/category ... -wool/2808 Not a fashion statement (there are other manufacturers as well), but the material works great and IMO those are reasonably priced.

*) As an anecdote, while I lived in Oulu, I used to ride a bicycle to work all year round, about 2,5km one way, and made do with jeans, a jacket, a t-shirt, gloves and a knitted cap for most of the winter. Only when it got to around -15C did I feel the need to add another layer of clothing or use a proper winter jacket. YMMV, the first days below freezing were a bit uncomfortable, but one really gets used to the colder weather as the body starts producing more heat. Of course I was also riding a bike, not standing still.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:42 pm

I echo the statement about the shoes. In the city the footpaths don't have huge amounts of snow on but often lots of ice instead. You need something with a soft sole that doesn't slip on the ice, not a super thick tread which would be more suitable for autumn walks in muddy fields.
The studded shoes are good outdoors but if you go into a shop with them on then things can be a bit slippery.

browndude

Post by browndude » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:27 pm

Thrift shops are good places to get cheap winter clothes (FIDA, UFF, Kontti etc..). The essential items are beanies, winter boots, wool socks, thermal underwear and a thick winter jacket. It is very important to cover your head and feet properly as you lose a lot of heat from those areas. Honestly, after a few years, one gets used to the cold. For me, anything over -15C or so no longer counts as cold anymore :lol:
ImageImage

browndude

Post by browndude » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:30 pm

sw_star wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:35 pm
Hi Everyone,

Where exactly in Finland are you living in? The winter clothing requirements for living in Helsinki will be different from the requirements for living in e.g. Rovaniemi.
ImageImage

agroot

Post by agroot » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:49 am

riku2 wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:42 pm
I echo the statement about the shoes. In the city the footpaths don't have huge amounts of snow on but often lots of ice instead. You need something with a soft sole that doesn't slip on the ice, not a super thick tread which would be more suitable for autumn walks in muddy fields.
The studded shoes are good outdoors but if you go into a shop with them on then things can be a bit slippery.
I tried but dont trust those soles. I dont feel safe with my studded shoes either because in outer Helsinki the sidewalks are often wet frost and within a few minutes ice could be all over those tiny studs and turn my shoes into two big blocks of ice, studs or not.

Cheap, unprofessional crampon is a much safer choice: https://varuste.net/p37975/snowline-cha ... icrospikes you can find cheaper ones from amazon. They cut much deeper into frost than studs, though not comfortable to walk on normal ground.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:30 pm

As is with cars and winter tires, studded or not, one still has to mind the weather conditions. Do not expect to run around as it was summer, no matter what shoes/boots you wear.