Change RP on new grounds

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
hereandnow

Change RP on new grounds

Post by hereandnow » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:36 am

Hi everyone,

I have been living in Finland for 2 years with a residence permit based on family ties (1y temporary RP + 1y extended RP). I married a Finn, and since I moved here I have made great friends, (not flawlessly but still) learned Finnish, got a full-time job, and am currently studying too.

Now, it kind of bothers me that my residence permit is attached to my marriage. I mean, it is what brought me here and I am happy about it, but it also puts some kind of pressure on my relationship and I would like to relieve it. I would like to change my extended residence permit on new grounds, and I have been thinking about work.

I have a few doubts about this process:
- would my residence permit start counting over, excluding the 1 year of extended RP I already have, and start counting again for the 5 years in case I want to apply for a permanent RP in a couple of years?
- If I change the RP from family ties to work, would I be restricted to only my current field of work?
- what happens if I get fired? do I lose the RP?
- Is there any other implication of this decision that I am maybe not considering?

If there's anybody here who has done this or seen someone doing it, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts and experiences.
Thank you!

Change RP on new grounds

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Change RP on new grounds

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:57 am

hereandnow wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:36 am
I have been living in Finland for 2 years with a residence permit based on family ties (1y temporary RP + 1y extended RP). I married a Finn, and since I moved here I have made great friends, (not flawlessly but still) learned Finnish, got a full-time job, and am currently studying too.

Now, it kind of bothers me that my residence permit is attached to my marriage. I mean, it is what brought me here and I am happy about it, but it also puts some kind of pressure on my relationship and I would like to relieve it. I would like to change my extended residence permit on new grounds, and I have been thinking about work.
If your marriage ends, you could still apply on new grounds.
hereandnow wrote:
I have a few doubts about this process:
- would my residence permit start counting over, excluding the 1 year of extended RP I already have, and start counting again for the 5 years in case I want to apply for a permanent RP in a couple of years?
What matters is the uninterrupted time on A permits, change of grounds is not a problem.
hereandnow wrote:
- If I change the RP from family ties to work, would I be restricted to only my current field of work?
It's possible.
hereandnow wrote:
- what happens if I get fired? do I lose the RP?
Migri might cancel it, but you could apply for a residence permit based on family ties if you don't find a new job.
hereandnow wrote:
- Is there any other implication of this decision that I am maybe not considering?
A residence permit based on work cannot be granted if TE thinks that there are unemployed people available who could do the job instead of you.