Pregnant and recently moved to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
wbano115

Post by wbano115 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:32 pm

Hi everyone, I recently moved to Finland on a researcher's visa (British citizen). I have A RP and already have a social security number. The day i arrived in Finland, I got to know that I am pregnant. My husband is already living here on an A permit as well. Now, I am really lost as to how to proceed with the population registration and getting maternity access. I have the following questions if anyone can answer:
1. Do I need to register to the population system (I already have an appointment for the 4th) or can I just notify my move via posti as I have social security number already?
2. Do I still need to register for municipality? I have heard they are taking 5-6 months to register.
3. How can I access maternity care at this point as I only know that I am pregnant via home tests? I have no clue how can I even book a doctor's appointment.
4. Which bank provides bank access codes easily? I have an appointment with Nordea next week to open a bank account but again I have heard they take their sweet time.
Please help a first-time mom. I am really stressed with this situation.

Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Pregnant and recently moved to Finland

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:02 pm

wbano115 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:32 pm
Hi everyone, I recently moved to Finland on a researcher's visa (British citizen). I have A RP and already have a social security number. The day i arrived in Finland, I got to know that I am pregnant. My husband is already living here on an A permit as well. Now, I am really lost as to how to proceed with the population registration and getting maternity access. I have the following questions if anyone can answer:
1. Do I need to register to the population system (I already have an appointment for the 4th) or can I just notify my move via posti as I have social security number already?
There are no social security numbers. This wrong translation is too often used though. It's officially personal identity code and does not imply access to social security.

"To register a municipality of residence, you usually need to visit the Digital and Population Data Services Agency in person. The only exception is if you already have a personal identity code and the Finnish Immigration Service has granted you the right of residence of an EU citizen or an EU family member's residence card in the last 12 months."

https://dvv.fi/en/municipality-of-residence
wbano115 wrote:
2. Do I still need to register for municipality? I have heard they are taking 5-6 months to register.
Yes because you need the registration to access services provided by the municipality (like gp).
wbano115 wrote:
3. How can I access maternity care at this point as I only know that I am pregnant via home tests? I have no clue how can I even book a doctor's appointment.
Contact the neuvola system in your municipality. Probably you reside in these municipalities: "Pregnant women residing in Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa, Turku, Tampere and in some other smaller cities are entitled to the same healthcare as residents at the same costs." https://www.globalclinic.fi/en/
wbano115 wrote:
4. Which bank provides bank access codes easily? I have an appointment with Nordea next week to open a bank account but again I have heard they take their sweet time.
Presumably you want English service so you are limited to ones providing English service. S-Bank would probably otherwise be faster as you can just walk into a Prisma and get the process started.