Men winter Shoes for office ??

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
ozil-madrid

Post by ozil-madrid » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:00 am

Hi people,

Just moved to Finland recently and i am confused about what shoes people wear to the office in winter time. I see there are winter shoes with fur/wool inside. Do you really wear that in the office all day long? Wouldn't it be too hot/sweaty and annoying to have such indoors all day long?

Or do you more of wear those just to get to the office and then change again to sneakers or whatever it is that you wear in the office?

What about pants as well, when its -10 or -20, do you only wear jeans or underpants and take those off in the office again? Happy to hear about peoples habits.

Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

network_engineer

Re: Men winter Shoes for office ??

Post by network_engineer » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:31 am

At least, I keep a pair of shoes at the office.

I wear the warm boots on my way and then change into the office pair.

Otherwise, it could be quite warm as you said. The other thing I do is get some of those de-humidifier packets and stuff them into the shoes (alternating), so if the boots have picked some moisture, it helps to keep them clean.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:10 pm

When i worked in an office in Finland I kept a spare pair of smart shoes in the office also (I do not subscribe to the idea of wearing sandals in the office).
The main reason for this is not just that the winter boots are really warm but their rubber soles are much softer than normal shoes. They are intended to grip icy pavements and this means the rubber formula is softer than normal. So if you wear them in the office the soles will wear out much quicker and you will leave rubber steaks on the office floor (whether you care about the office floor is not really the point - you're wasting the money you spent on winter footwear by wearing them indoors in the warm).

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:19 pm

ozil-madrid wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:00 am
Hi people,

Just moved to Finland recently and i am confused about what shoes people wear to the office in winter time. I see there are winter shoes with fur/wool inside. Do you really wear that in the office all day long? Wouldn't it be too hot/sweaty and annoying to have such indoors all day long?

Or do you more of wear those just to get to the office and then change again to sneakers or whatever it is that you wear in the office?

What about pants as well, when its -10 or -20, do you only wear jeans or underpants and take those off in the office again? Happy to hear about peoples habits.

Thanks
Depends a lot on where in Finland you live and how much time is spent outside going to/coming from the office. -10 or below is a rarity in southern Finland, also one can easily manage walking a few minutes in a colder weather without specific winter footwear. No need to dress like you'd be spending hours on end outside if you're just hopping on and off a tram/bus/train. If you regularly spend longer times (outside) in cold weather, get whatever you feel comfortable with (and suits your workplace) to wear at the office. Some wear slippers, some leather shoes, some sneakers, some women wear high heels,... to each their own.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:24 pm

ozil-madrid wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:00 am

If you are just walking 5 minutes from your car or the metro to the office, you don't have to dress like a polar explorer.
I would recommend against wearing a summer dress, but wearing normal jeans is fine for a short time outside where you are moving.

If you might have to wait 30 minutes at a bus station on a cold winter day, proper clothing might be more important.

agroot

Post by agroot » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:36 pm

I have never needed fur or wool inside even when I walked all day under -20C. It's unlikely for feet to get cold unless you just stand in the snow.

Static may be a much bigger issue in winter and it's better to have a pair of anti-static shoes for indoor.

ozil-madrid

Post by ozil-madrid » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:38 pm

Thanks folks for your replies, appreciated! So is the solution for winter is to use goretex shoes just to repel the water from the snow and that's good enough ? I notice people here wearing snearkers/leather shoes all time no matter what. I heard maybe they just dont want to waste money on having many shoes.

Also for a sales job, you need to sometimes go to customers in the middle of the day here and there, annoying if one will need to keep switching shoes :beamer: .

agroot

Post by agroot » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:39 pm

I have seen people wearing winter boots, mostly with non-winter trousers such as jeans. I can only assume it's for purely cosmetic reasons.