Parking sign interpretation

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
jperickson

Post by jperickson » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:12 am

Can someone help me understand what the parking sign in the photo actually means?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S0KNC3 ... share_link

My reading of the sign (if you ignore the white lines on the street for a moment) is that there is a loading zone from the sign itself until 10 meters after the sign (the sign is in force for 10 meters). But if that is true, why are the white lines painted on the street which implies you are allowed to park there? If it's not true, where is my logic wrong?

Lastly, is the reason for why the car is not legally parked related to that sign or would it have to be a different sign not shown in the photo (in other words, does a parking sign only ever apply _after_ the sign and not in front of the sign)?

Thank you!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Parking sign interpretation

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:26 pm

jperickson wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:12 am
Can someone help me understand what the parking sign in the photo actually means?

My reading of the sign (if you ignore the white lines on the street for a moment) is that there is a loading zone from the sign itself until 10 meters after the sign (the sign is in force for 10 meters). But if that is true, why are the white lines painted on the street which implies you are allowed to park there? If it's not true, where is my logic wrong?

Lastly, is the reason for why the car is not legally parked related to that sign or would it have to be a different sign not shown in the photo (in other words, does a parking sign only ever apply _after_ the sign and not in front of the sign)?

Thank you!
The sign means that it is not allowed to even stop (two crossing marks) a vehicle 10 meters after the sign, let alone park there. Stating "kuormaus" (loading/offloading) seems a bit redundant, possibly it's there there due to people still having stopped to do just that.

In general, a sign trumps over any possibly conflicting markings on the street, so that's what counts.

browndude

Post by browndude » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:33 pm

The explanation is found here

https://katsastushaku.fi/tietopankki/ti ... merkinnat/

"Pysäyttäminen sallittu vain kuormaa purkaville tai lastaaville ajoneuvoille, sekä henkilöiden ottamista tai jättämistä varten."

For the next 10 meters ahead, parking is only allowed for vehicles loading/unlolading cargo and for vehicles picking up or dropping off people.
ImageImage

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:39 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:26 pm
jperickson wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:12 am

Thank you!
The sign means that it is not allowed to even stop (two crossing marks) a vehicle 10 meters after the sign, let alone park there. Stating "kuormaus" (loading/offloading) seems a bit redundant, possibly it's there there due to people still having stopped to do just that.

In general, a sign trumps over any possibly conflicting markings on the street, so that's what counts.
”Kuormaus” is not redundant. It’s part of the C43 sign design.
C43

Merkillä kielletään pysäyttäminen muilta ajoneuvoilta kuin kuormaavilta ja kuormaa purkavilta ajoneuvoilta tien sillä puolella, jolle merkki on pystytetty. Pysäyttäminen on sallittu myös matkustajien ottamista tai jättämistä varten. Vain tietylle ajoneuvoryhmälle sallittu pysäyttäminen osoitetaan lisäkilvellä H12.1–H12.13. Merkin vaikutusalue on sama kuin merkin C37.
https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2018/20180729

Basically means that within the white lines only loading and offloading cargo and people is allowed.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:15 pm

In addition to the given answers,

The white car on the photo is parked legally only, if there is no sign before it, not on the picture, prohibiting this AND the area is NOT a non parking ZONE!!!
In other words, if the white car got a ticket for wrongful parking, it has to do with a sign not shown, in general all signs are valid only for the area after the sign not before, unless the sign is parallel placed to the road with a separate sign below it with two arrows in both directions (when we talk about parking signs).

And to understand the remark about redundancy, yes one could argue it is redundant, however as previous poster already said, it is the official design of the sign. There is a slight difference, even-though indeed the meaning of C37 would generally be the same, the difference is that C43 is a sign for a ZONE and C37 is a more general sign for the road side after the sign is placed.

So in this case it could be a non parking Zone for the whole neighborhood but only for this specific part of 10m a non stopping zone.

jperickson

Post by jperickson » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:44 pm

NukkuMatti wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:15 pm
if the white car got a ticket for wrongful parking, it has to do with a sign not shown, in general all signs are valid only for the area after the sign not before
Thank you for this. It's always confused me if this was the rule or not or if it had to be interpreted on a case-by-case basis. In general, it can be nerve racking to park in front of a "no parking" sign even if you know if doesn't apply in the direction of your car. Just something doesn't feel right about it. ;)

riku2

Post by riku2 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:38 pm

browndude wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:33 pm
For the next 10 meters ahead, parking is only allowed for vehicles loading/unlolading cargo and for vehicles picking up or dropping off people.
I would never have understood what the sign means without reading this post. There is an unwritten "except" which accompanies the "Kuromaus" (loading) text. There is a similar sign prohibiting parking or stopping but taxis are exempt. And in the same way they just have "taxi" above the sign as if you're supposed to know that a sign that https://vayla.fi/vaylista/liikennemerki ... 9528536963 says "no parking" with taxi written above does not mean that taxis must not park but it means that ONLY taxi's are allowed to park !!

ON THE OTHER HAND THIS IS THE COUNTRY WHERE THE ROADSIGNS STILL HAVE DESTINATIONS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS BECAUSE THEY HAVE NOT YET REALISED THAT PEOPLE READ THINGS QUICKER IF UPPER AND LOWER CASE ARE USED - SOMETHING THEY WORKED OUT IN THE UK IN THE MID 1950'S.