Weird smell from kitchen sink and bathroom

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
dazedee

Post by dazedee » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:52 pm

Hey guys!

So I'm at my wit's end now. We just moved into a new home. The house is neat, but there is a weird smell, almost like sewage. We tried baking soda and vinegar, and all drain cleaners we could find. I also tried this "very powerful" Mr Muscle Drain Foamer. It's of no avail :( I'm a little hesitant to take apart the plumbing, because this is a student apartment and all repairs have to be informed to the housing society.

Anybody have any suggestions, anything else I can try before seeking professional help? (both for plumbing AND my mental state after this :D )

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

zetorpilot

Re: Weird smell from kitchen sink and bathroom

Post by zetorpilot » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:22 pm

Surely if it's a student apartment that is the property of a "housing society" then the diagnosis and rectification of this kind of trouble is their problem, not yours? 🤔

dazedee

Post by dazedee » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:26 pm

zetorpilot wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:22 pm
Surely if it's a student apartment that is the property of a "housing society" then the diagnosis and rectification of this kind of trouble is their problem, not yours? 🤔
Of course! But I just wanted to see if it's a small thing that I can rectify or it needs a plumber. If nothing works I will let the housing society know. They usually encourage small scale stuff to be handled by the tenants ;) I'm just trying to figure out if this is actually small scale or a serious issue, so I asked for help :)

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:25 am

dazedee wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:26 pm
zetorpilot wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:22 pm
Of course! But I just wanted to see if it's a small thing that I can rectify or it needs a plumber. If nothing works I will let the housing society know. They usually encourage small scale stuff to be handled by the tenants ;) I'm just trying to figure out if this is actually small scale or a serious issue, so I asked for help :)
The smell could be caused by stuff in plumbing trap. Or ventilation that doesn't get enough replacement air, so it sucks it from the drain. Or just dry plumbing traps if the apartment has been unused for a while, but as you have already poured stuff into them, then that is not likely to be the reason.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

seti

Post by seti » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:40 pm

We suffered with the same problem at our first home. The reason of the stink was iron pipes underneath the sink. We called the housing company and they changed that pipe with plastic ones. The maintenance guy told us that it's very common problem when there is iron pipes.

amelia owen

Post by amelia owen » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:34 am

Baking soda and vinegar mixed together is another method for cleaning up the sink drain (and getting rid of bad odours) besides vinegar and boiling water. This mixture creates a combustible effect that can clear the buildup from your drain and unclog it, which may also get rid of the odour.

network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:14 pm

There could be another reason: Check if you have any pipes, e.g. from the sink going to the drain without a drain cover. In that case, the smell from the drain will waft upwards.

If yes, go to e.g. Bauhaus or K-Rauta and ask for a "kuminippa" or a "korokerengas" for the size of the pipe that can be installed between the pipe and the drain.

Or if you find such a drain without a cover, ask the maintenance company to install one.