Are P-type RPs valid even if card is expired?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
misu

Post by misu » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:57 am

I applied to a university program and for the application I was required to show valid proof of residence permit. I have a P-type (permanent) RP but it's a year expired. I had to request a certificate from Migri instead but just wondering: if the RP itself is 'permanent', does it not technically mean even the expired card is proof of the RP decision? On Migri's site they say that they recommend that the card be updated every 5 years because of biomarker data, and the card does have dates on it for when it's valid. But it's not like the RP itself is invalid even if the card is invalid? Obviously, the admissions office didn't really care about these technicalities and just want a valid document either way, which is understandable. Just wondering more for the sake of my own curiosity how this works and wondering if anyone has dealt with a similar issue before.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

network_engineer

Re: Are P-type RPs valid even if card is expired?

Post by network_engineer » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:18 pm

The card is a document that certifies your right to permanent residence.

Expiry of the card does not (as far as I recall) invalidate your right to permanent residence.

Getting a new card, do you need to apply, aren't they sending it automatically upon expiry (unless it becomes evident that your right is being revoked, e.g. due to crime etc). Even banks send renewed credit cards automatically.

Or is it that they've got to hire another 50 young clueless ones to process just a renewal?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:31 pm

misu wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:57 am
I applied to a university program and for the application I was required to show valid proof of residence permit. I have a P-type (permanent) RP but it's a year expired. I had to request a certificate from Migri instead but just wondering: if the RP itself is 'permanent', does it not technically mean even the expired card is proof of the RP decision? On Migri's site they say that they recommend that the card be updated every 5 years because of biomarker data, and the card does have dates on it for when it's valid. But it's not like the RP itself is invalid even if the card is invalid? Obviously, the admissions office didn't really care about these technicalities and just want a valid document either way, which is understandable. Just wondering more for the sake of my own curiosity how this works and wondering if anyone has dealt with a similar issue before.
Your P status can be cancelled if you, for example, move permanently abroad. This is why only a valid card is accepted as proof.

browndude

Post by browndude » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:09 pm

misu wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:57 am
Your P-residency status can expire e.g. if you move out of Finland for more than 2 years. So having an invalid RP card does not prove anything more than the fact that you had P-residency a while back. You should of course have applied for a new card before your old card expired and I suggest you apply for a new card immediately.
ImageImage

masao

Post by masao » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:45 pm

Hi.
In principle, PRP is not valid when the date is expired. It's an EU regulation that the card should be renewed
every five years. You may not see the difference in everyday life whether the card is valid or not as long as you are here.
However, when you travel abroad, then coming back will be troublesome if you do not have a valid card.
Bone, Thugs, 'n' Harmony

misu

Post by misu » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:50 pm

I am in the process of applying for a new card, though it will take 2-3 months due to the line at Migri. In the meantime, I did get a certificate from Migri (cost 50e). However, I'm unclear if this certificate can serve as a replacement for the RP card during the time I am waiting to get my card renewed? I thought so, but the admissions office suggested I send them a copy of the certificate AND the expired card, as proof of my residency status.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:59 pm

misu wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:50 pm
I am in the process of applying for a new card, though it will take 2-3 months due to the line at Migri. In the meantime, I did get a certificate from Migri (cost 50e). However, I'm unclear if this certificate can serve as a replacement for the RP card during the time I am waiting to get my card renewed? I thought so, but the admissions office suggested I send them a copy of the certificate AND the expired card, as proof of my residency status.
The university needs proof that you have a valid PR, and a certificate from Migri stating that should work fine.