Cleaning the kitchen exhaust.

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:48 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering - who could I contact to get my kitchen exhaust cleaned professionally (i.e. the upside down funnel shaped electronic thing that sits above the stove, has a fan it it)?

The last time I did it, it was in an apartment, and seem to recollect that they had some sort of material in there, looked like small pieces of charcoal. This one, I can't even figure out how to open :oops: and wifey won't let me tamper or play with it if I am even 1% doubtful of the outcome! :( :twisted:

The nuohoojamestari comes to mind, but I am not sure if they do it.

Any advice?

Kind regards.

PS: Not that I am keen on reading manuals, but I even can't find manual for this thing.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:24 pm

What's the make and model number?

There are several different kinds of extractor fans. Some use charcoal (but they are old generation) and some use fabric filtres which can be thrown away and you just buy new ones and fit them in. Mine has a kind of metallic mesh filter which I put in the dishwasher once a month. Easy.

But whatever kind of extractor fan you have, you should be able to clean the filtres yourself.

Mook

Post by Mook » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:34 pm

You can buy replacements for the charcoal filter. (there's one shop in museokatu that you can order them from)

The other alternative is to clean it. You can use the same liquid that's used to clean the elctronic air cleaner/filter things (e.g. elixair). I got some from stockmann - it's purple (if that helps)

network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:53 pm

Hi Penelope, Mook,

:oops: :oops: I can't seem to find the make and model of the exhaust itself, unless I can open it. Come to think of it, aren't the stoves and the exhaust sold together? If that is the case, it is an AEG. Else I gotta plead with my wife to return me my screw drivers.

Penelope, now that you mention it, mine has a metallic mesh filter too, but that seems to be something I can easily remove, once I find the darn screws that is. I thought there might be something beyond the fans to clean and I am interested in cleaning the fans as well.

We do a fair amount of cooking at home and I am a tad worried that all the fumes from the cooking might just clog up, even the fans.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:24 am

Well, there is a light there innit? So one needs to change the light? Mine does two knobs a twist and and the whole pan drops out. Maybe you need to ask the neighbours kids over, I use them if I got anything "childproof" to open ;)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:39 am

No, the hoods and hobs are NOT necessarily sold together. So might be AEG, might not. How new is it? Does it circulate the air back into the room (most charcoal filtre fans do this) or is it actually extracting the air into an external exhaust?

My mesh filtres go in the dishwasher about once a month, maybe less. That is enough to keep them clean. But if yours are VERY yucky you might want to use something like Fairy Power spray to de-grease them. The metal mesh filtres are IMO quite effective, not sure there is any need to dismantle the hood and look for the fan blades.... wouldn't bother.

network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:34 pm

Hi all,

Update: I managed to get the mesh off while the wife was sleeping :twisted: Not too bad, but I'd still like to clean beyond and this time I gave up at 0200 today! I think I need to call the neighbours five-year old :oops:

Penelope: Nope, this one does not circulate the air back in to the room, takes it all the way out. And the kitchen was redone by the earlier owners and I believe that this was part of it, can't say for sure though.

Now, if I could only figure out how to dismantle the fans! My biggest problem with this is that it doesn't seem to have enough power, as it used to. My guess is something clogging!

Kind regards.

raamv

Post by raamv » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:54 pm

can you post a picture?
After I take the mesh out, I ve been using the "keittö" spray with the fan on full blast..as it is able to take the oil out..
as for long term taking it out and cleaning, you need the manufacturer's diagram/instructions as I've noticed in many of these things, a screw here or there wrongly taken out messes things out and finally you get screwed..
Changing the light bulb is one thing..but then taking the exhaust fan that goes all the way to the top( whether or not is not the question as you dont know it yet) is another..

agroot

Re: Cleaning the kitchen exhaust.

Post by agroot » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:59 pm

Is there a professional cleaning service for this?

I can't believe people just left the whole filter to rot and all the inside surfaces are filled with grease - and not the first time!

The filters can be replaced, but I guess real cleaning in the fan and inside surfaces require professionals similar to air condition cleaning? Is it available here? Or I might as well replace the hood completely.

network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:48 pm

raamv wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:54 pm
can you post a picture?
I wonder, does FF have an image folder where I can upload images?
raamv wrote:
I ve been using the "keittö" spray with the fan on full blast..as it is able to take the oil out..
Sounds tempting!

A charcoal lined mesh, I remember seeing that somewhere, might just stop the oil fumes from sticking to the walls of the exhaust!
agroot wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:59 pm
Is there a professional cleaning service for this?
I am sure ... some unkempt drunk unskilled bloke ... but you'll have to give up one of your kidneys, part of your liver, and the cornea. :twisted:
agroot wrote:
I can't believe people just left the whole filter to rot and all the inside surfaces are filled with grease - and not the first time!
Most people don't clean it, but then again, most Finnish friends I know would only grill food outside. The normal idea of "cooking" is well Atria pre-cooked in the oven or the microwave. Us "kinds", we cook in oil, there's a quite a lot of wok-ing etc. The other day we made some Sichuan hotpot, and I really wished I had an effective exhaust.
agroot wrote:
The filters can be replaced, but I guess real cleaning in the fan and inside surfaces require professionals similar to air condition cleaning? Is it available here? Or I might as well replace the hood completely.
To be honest, I checked the prices at couple of the stores, it ranges from 700e upwards. The cleaning prices are likely to be around 400-500e. Might as well chip in 200e more and get a one. :?

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:04 pm

Cleaning of the metal mesh filters is straight forward with a bath of warm water with some dish washing soap, the charcoal filter is only needed if you recirculate back into the house or you want to be over friendly to your neighbors not smelling what you are cooking.

Now about the motor seeming to have less power, if it is really noticeable, it might be a phase shifting capacitor (if present) that is coming to it's end and needs replacement, you might need to take the whole damn thing out to reach it, in most cases.

Whatever you do when starting to remove the fan, switch the breaker off or remove the fuse in the house fusebox!!

IF you need to do this, you can at the same time clean the darn thing, most preferably with IPA and a toothbrush, although this might not be so good for any rubber parts if present.

Make sure not to turn it on just after cleaning, fire hazard!!! let all the IPA evaporate first...

good luck!!

network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:39 pm

NukkuMatti wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:04 pm
Cleaning of the metal mesh filters
How exactly does this thing work though? I mean, mesh filters, how do they stop the grime and oil vapours? Sure, some of it may get stuck on the mesh itself, but the larger part of the oily smoke must be getting stuck in the chimney, no?
NukkuMatti wrote:
the charcoal filter is only needed if you recirculate back into the house or you want to be over friendly to your neighbors not smelling what you are cooking.
My idea was to keep the house smelling clean :) and avoid the smell over to the neighbours as well. It is a detached house, so the chimney goes right outside.
NukkuMatti wrote:
Now about the motor seeming to have less power, if it is really noticeable, it might be a phase shifting capacitor (if present) that is coming to it's end and needs replacement, you might need to take the whole damn thing out to reach it, in most cases.

Whatever you do when starting to remove the fan, switch the breaker off or remove the fuse in the house fusebox!!
Sounds like a big job? I guess I need the electrician's cert to do this, no?

Thanks! :)

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:48 am

network_engineer wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:48 pm
raamv wrote:
can you post a picture?
I wonder, does FF have an image folder where I can upload images?
As far as I can tell, attachments aren't support on this board. But it's quite easy to upload an image to a site like imgur.com, or if you already have accounts something like Dropbox or Google Drive, and link to it.

agroot

Post by agroot » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:50 am

network_engineer wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:39 pm
How exactly does this thing work though? I mean, mesh filters, how do they stop the grime and oil vapours? Sure, some of it may get stuck on the mesh itself, but the larger part of the oily smoke must be getting stuck in the chimney, no?
They don't. Those filters are garbage and I always use a combination of felt filter outside with carbon filter inside. The carbon filter also needs to be those used in air purifiers, because the washable filter is not really reusable after washing and typical carbon filter smells broken / recycled.

The steel mesh in my current home is just there to keep the felt filter in place. I also removed as much mesh as I can, since it's nothing but an obstacle.
network_engineer wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:48 pm
To be honest, I checked the prices at couple of the stores, it ranges from 700e upwards. The cleaning prices are likely to be around 400-500e. Might as well chip in 200e more and get a one. :?
Right... more spending :cry: But am I supposed to install it myself? Several web shops tell explicitly that range hood is not covered by their paid installation services.

agroot

Post by agroot » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:53 pm

HannibalHk wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:33 pm
Unless I open the exhaust, I can't seem to find the brand and model. Actually, don't the stoves and the exhaust gets sold together? It is an AEG if that is the case. Otherwise, I'll have to beg my wife to give me back my screwdrivers.
No. They may be installed together during kitchen renovation, but never sold together. Most of integrated exhausts are from Electrolux.