Digital kills traditional

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
aries_primal

Post by aries_primal » Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:44 pm

Hi. I am an artist, I am looking for job in Finland and things doesn't look so good from where I stand.

I studied 15 years and have master degree in fine arts, also in photography and interior design. Since I've been digging for job 99% of jobs I find are for IT or site designers. Since I have no skills in digital arts, what should I do?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Digital kills traditional

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:24 am

aries_primal wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:44 pm
Hi. I am an artist, I am looking for job in Finland and things doesn't look so good from where I stand.

I studied 15 years and have master degree in fine arts, also in photography and interior design. Since I've been digging for job 99% of jobs I find are for IT or site designers. Since I have no skills in digital arts, what should I do?
What is there to do? Either start acquiring skills, which could land you the job you want, or look for other type of work. That may sound harsh, but most artists don't make their living off their art, instead they have a day job, which at least allows them to continue practicing their art. Many people in general have a job which isn't actually their true calling, but they have to do something to make ends meet.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:12 am

There was recently an article about this. Creative professions have too many job seekers and not enough employment opportunities. I would recommend looking into another field if you want to find work in Finland. If you only want to work as an artist, then consider to look elsewhere where there are more job opportunities.

https://yle.fi/news/3-12671096

aries_primal

Post by aries_primal » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:52 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:24 am

What is there to do? Either start acquiring skills, which could land you the job you want, or look for other type of work. That may sound harsh, but most artists don't make their living off their art, instead they have a day job, which at least allows them to continue practicing their art. Many people in general have a job which isn't actually their true calling, but they have to do something to make ends meet.
No, it's not harsh, it's how it is. I'm not a dreamer, I am looking for job, not a fairy tale.
Thing is I spent so much time and money, and effort and everything, and for what?
Watching today's artists, a few of them knows shape, colors and perspective, not starting with human and animal anatomy. It's all effects and filters.
How and when art became so cheap?

aries_primal

Post by aries_primal » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:59 pm

heretostay wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:12 am
There was recently an article about this. Creative professions have too many job seekers and not enough employment opportunities. I would recommend looking into another field if you want to find work in Finland. If you only want to work as an artist, then consider to look elsewhere where there are more job opportunities.

Ok, what could I do without education to earn enough for rent, food, bills? Waiter, dish washer, cleaner... I understand and can do things many people can't. Everybody can broom the floor and wash the dishes. How are things so different from 15 years ago?

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:51 am

aries_primal wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:52 pm
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:24 am

No, it's not harsh, it's how it is. I'm not a dreamer, I am looking for job, not a fairy tale.
Thing is I spent so much time and money, and effort and everything, and for what?
Watching today's artists, a few of them knows shape, colors and perspective, not starting with human and animal anatomy. It's all effects and filters.
How and when art became so cheap?
Is it that much different from movies or music, where digital might be good enough for the intended purpose - seen on a screen or heard from headphones, for a fraction of the price. Not to mention the relative ease of getting at least something done, even alone, with the tools accessible to many. In some way, maybe it's also a question of what the today's ultra rich choose to do with their money, if not commissioning massive projects from renowned composers, painters and sculptors.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:14 am

aries_primal wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:59 pm
heretostay wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:12 am

Ok, what could I do without education to earn enough for rent, food, bills? Waiter, dish washer, cleaner... I understand and can do things many people can't. Everybody can broom the floor and wash the dishes. How are things so different from 15 years ago?
Some artists teach, privately or in some educational institution, at least part-time along with that "day job", which actually pays the bills.

aries_primal

Post by aries_primal » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:29 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:51 am

Is it that much different from movies or music, where digital might be good enough for the intended purpose - seen on a screen or heard from headphones, for a fraction of the price. Not to mention the relative ease of getting at least something done, even alone, with the tools accessible to many. In some way, maybe it's also a question of what the today's ultra rich choose to do with their money, if not commissioning massive projects from renowned composers, painters and sculptors.
Well skill is a skill. Smash three colors on a paper and draw a shadows for a forest isn't art. I know it's ungrateful job but after all, there should be a space for everyone. Fact that someone can use photoshop doesn't make him an artist.
So you tell me I need to throw away 15 years of education, 70k and everything I know, and start something else?

Ok, this topic turns to rant so I better leave. But if you put yourself in my shoes you will see how things look from my perspective. People who can't make difference between male and female body and face and can't actually draw one without cheating should not be in front of those who know, because they are using a tablet instead of sketchbook.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:24 am

aries_primal wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:29 pm
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:51 am

Well skill is a skill. Smash three colors on a paper and draw a shadows for a forest isn't art. I know it's ungrateful job but after all, there should be a space for everyone. Fact that someone can use photoshop doesn't make him an artist.
So you tell me I need to throw away 15 years of education, 70k and everything I know, and start something else?

Ok, this topic turns to rant so I better leave. But if you put yourself in my shoes you will see how things look from my perspective. People who can't make difference between male and female body and face and can't actually draw one without cheating should not be in front of those who know, because they are using a tablet instead of sketchbook.
I'm not telling you to do anything. You were wondering what has happened, why has there been such s shift, to which I responded. There are a lot of undeniably talented artists (musicians, painters, writers,...) out there, who are stuggling to make a living out of it.

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:28 am

aries_primal wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:29 pm

Not my job to tell you what you think and believe, but it comes across as if you feel entitled to a career and job, a space for you in your choosen field because you've invested a lot of time and a lot of money in it... Whether you want to accept that it may not be so and face that it will be hard to make a living, or will stay bitter is none of my business. Again, I may be projecting here.
You probably realize that many people pour their souls into failed marriages, others invest their savings in failed businesses, and others won't ever use their education to their benefit - specially among the immigrants in this country. Some all 3... Not trying to tell you that others have it worse, but when you understand this you'll see why many foreigners in Finland live a pretty miserable life and suck all the life of those around them. Usually it's not because of the failures, but because they feel they have no agency over the circunstances in their lives.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:13 pm

Even though the thread became a bit cold already, I would like to add some info here to the benefit of others trying to find their way into a job.

Nice site with statistics:

I choose for the region, the capital region but you can check others of your own location of course.

https://www.ammattibarometri.fi/vertail ... i&kieli=en

Here you can see that even digital arts is not doing well.
Basically all arts are not doing so well, there are just too many people available for the small amount of jobs in this profession.

Here you can also see what professions will almost guarantee you a job... the ones with a big shortage of available workforce.

There is therefore no reason for feeling bad about not getting a job if you are an artist, you are not the only one!! Try to get comfort out of that and then decide what other skills you can utilize... especially if you are still young.. I mean if you are approaching your retirement age, you most likely will never get one either..

aries_primal

Post by aries_primal » Tue May 16, 2023 12:31 am

Well thank you all for the answers. From what I see in sites offering job basically a few things are popular as a jobs: cleaning, marketing, building/fixing stuff. And they are all required people with experience. I am not sure how someone, finnish or foreigner could get some experience since everything is for experienced workers.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue May 16, 2023 5:50 am

You get experience by attending training courses and getting certificates. Part of the training course is on the job so you get experience that way and sometimes get to basically audition for a potential future employer. If a job doesn’t come out of it then you leave with experience and a reference for your CV. Even cleaners have a CV in Finland.