Period of residence calculation for Finnish Citizenship

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
alexander1709

Post by alexander1709 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:19 pm

Hi all

I had student permit B type from aug 2017- aug 2018. I arrived in Finland in sep 2017.

I applied for extension of student permit, got a negative decision and appealed against it.

While court was still deciding on my case, I got a work permit A type in october 2020 and got a 4 year extension to work permit(A type) in sep 2021.

Now if I plan to apply for Finnish citizenship in nov 2023, how will my period of residence will be calculated-

Aug 2017-aug 2018- 6 months (time spent on B permit)

Oct 2020- Nov 2023- 3 years 1 month (time spent on A permit)

How about the time spent from sep 2018- sep 2020- the time period where I did not have a permit but waiting for the decision (note I have never been a illegal citizen)? will that be counted as

a. Half the time on basis of previous permit (1 year) note I was allowed to work 25 hours on basis of my earlier student permit
b. 2 years (actual duration of time lived)
c. None at all.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: Period of residence calculation for Finnish Citizenship

Post by heretostay » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:09 pm

My guess is c. I hope that I am wrong for your sake. But if you email migri they will give you the definite answer.

Please post here when you find out as I am sure there will be others with a similar situation.

machadolucas

Re: Period of residence calculation for Finnish Citizenship

Post by machadolucas » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:39 am

All the information regarding calculating the period of residence for citizenship is here: https://migri.fi/en/how-to-calculate-th ... -residence

Basically, the residence period with a B permit count as half but it could only be counted if it was together with a continuous permit (A type), without interruptions in between.

In your case, your period of residence will be counted from when you first received your continuous A type permit (October 2020). You should then be able to apply for citizenship in October 2025 (provided that you renew your current permit before it expires), or in October 2024 if you fulfil one of the conditions for 4 years residence period (https://migri.fi/en/period-of-residence)