returning to finland (without a fixed address)

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
scottledeuce

Post by scottledeuce » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:51 pm

Tried to search for a similar scenario but one didnt come up.

In short, i worked in Finland from 2010 - 2013 before moving to Estonia.
During my time there I setup a bank account and all this archaic bankingID stuff you need to do in order to access government services or anything which requires authentication

In 2014 I moved to Estonia and closed my bank account (stupidly in hindsight but it was 60 eur a year to just keep open), and informed maistrati of my address in Estonia assuming my time in Finland was over.
However, I now need to move there permanently again for some forestry work and will mostly be living out of my camper.

Since i have Finnish social security number and all that is it possible to open a new bank account and just link it to a postbox or virtual office?
Same question regarding my permanent address (which i won't have there) can i officially live in Finland without bothering some of my old acquaintances to write me into their address or use a PO box for correspondence?

ideally, i just want to open a bank account there again to get paid and open a contract with telia to get a mobile number .
I hope to go to this DVM office next week and tell them im moving back to Finland to work permanently, will they kick me out if there when i tell them i don't have a fixed address while living there permanently?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: returning to finland (without a fixed address)

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:11 pm

scottledeuce wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:51 pm
In short, i worked in Finland from 2010 - 2013 before moving to Estonia.
During my time there I setup a bank account and all this archaic bankingID stuff you need to do in order to access government services or anything which requires authentication

In 2014 I moved to Estonia and closed my bank account (stupidly in hindsight but it was 60 eur a year to just keep open), and informed maistrati of my address in Estonia assuming my time in Finland was over.
However, I now need to move there permanently again for some forestry work and will mostly be living out of my camper.

Since i have Finnish social security number and all that is it possible to open a new bank account and just link it to a postbox or virtual office?
Same question regarding my permanent address (which i won't have there) can i officially live in Finland without bothering some of my old acquaintances to write me into their address or use a PO box for correspondence?

ideally, i just want to open a bank account there again to get paid and open a contract with telia to get a mobile number .
I hope to go to this DVM office next week and tell them im moving back to Finland to work permanently, will they kick me out if there when i tell them i don't have a fixed address while living there permanently?
I assume you are an EU citizen?

Online banking codes are only one way of doing the authentication.
If you are being employed, getting your salary to a bank account in Estonia should be possible.

If you want to have an own business of any kind in Finland, the business will also need an official address.

Your income tax rate depends on your municipality of residence, my first question would be whether being registered in a different municipality than where you are actually living might be considered tax fraud.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:24 pm

scottledeuce wrote:

You would register as homeless and have, for example, Poste Restante as your postal address. The population register allows for separate postal addresses.
scottledeuce wrote:
Yes, per above.
scottledeuce wrote:
You can get paid to any SEPA account.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:32 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:24 pm
scottledeuce wrote:

You would register as homeless and have, for example, Poste Restante as your postal address. The population register allows for separate postal addresses.
Would it be legal to reduce your income tax rate by registering as homeless in a municipality with a low municipality tax like Helsinki, while actually living and working in some high-tax forestry rural area?

Registering as homeless in Kauniainen while living in a camper in Halsua would reduce the tax rate by 6.5% compared to registering in Halsua, which would reduce the income tax for a person with average income by 2400 Euro per year.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:26 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:32 pm
Would it be legal to reduce your income tax rate by registering as homeless in a municipality with a low municipality tax like Helsinki, while actually living and working in some high-tax forestry rural area?
No.