Truck driving in Finland with none-to-rudimentary Finnish

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
orys

Post by orys » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:31 am

Hello,

Long time lurker, as I was planning to move to Finland years and years ago for my studies but nothing came out of it. But my gilrfriend just landed a very nice job in Helsinki and we're moving. It's all quite sudden now and I am overwhelmed with everything, so I am doing my research last minute.

The thing is, I can make some money working from home - this is what I do now in Scotland, where we live at the moment - but it is not sufficient, so I suplement this with driving trucks part time. I can go to full time truck driving if it's easier.

The thing is I hear that it is next to impossible to get a truck driving job in Finland with no Finnish, which I find weird, because most of jobs are like "here is the address, go there, swap your trailer for the trailer number ABC 1234 and head back" and you can do it with virtually no language skills at all. I know, this is how i started in Scotland all those years ago.

Of couse I want to learn Finnish, I already started listen to lessons during my work and whatnot, but wanted to see if this is true and if you indeed will have to learn at least communicative Finnish before having a chance to get employment in that line of work? So if anyone has some knowledge of the subject, it would be greatly appreciated.

Image Image

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tkf

Re: Truck driving in Finland with none-to-rudimentary Finnish

Post by tkf » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:57 pm

Professional truck drivers compentecy (not sure the spelling) license. Is needed here, not only the CE and I'm not 100% sure but it's in Finnish and expensive.

You could find work with a truck license but in that the license gives you an added benefit of the particular job and not in itself merely a drivers job.

Jaeger

Re: Truck driving in Finland with none-to-rudimentary Finnish

Post by Jaeger » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:27 pm

You mentioned that you earn some income online, are you able to increase that income?

As regards truck driving, it maybe about who you know or contacts. I know a guy who is a truck driver who subcontracts himself out to different companies. Maybe companies might be willing to take on a subcontractor rather than an employee.

I also knew a Swedish guy who worked 2weeks in Sweden and 2weeks off living in Finland. But it would be a challenge to work between Scotland and Finland.

A few options to think about…