possible Divorce and residence permit

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Joni2023

Post by Joni2023 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:15 pm

Hi,
i would like to seek advice and help from this platform. thanks in advance to everyone.
so i am Finnish man married to my wife (Other nationals) we have been married for one year but recently we've realized, we don't view life same way. i would like to have an opened marriage but my wife forbids it, its my fault that i didn't discuss this when we were dating. but other than that we have other misunderstandings and we don't get along well anymore so i think it's right we go our separate ways. although our marriage may seem to come to an end, i really like her as a person, she left her life behind to be with me in Finland and she likes it here and would like to school,work,etc. she has her Extended permit already, so i would like to know if there is a particular time we need to be married or live together before we can put in the divorce or if i put in the divorce because our marriage is just one year, will she be ripped off her resident permit? or is there something else we can do?

sorry for the long note but your advice will be appreciated. kiitos.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: possible Divorce and residence permit

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:42 am

Joni2023 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:15 pm
Hi,
i would like to seek advice and help from this platform. thanks in advance to everyone.
so i am Finnish man married to my wife (Other nationals) we have been married for one year but recently we've realized, we don't view life same way. i would like to have an opened marriage but my wife forbids it, its my fault that i didn't discuss this when we were dating. but other than that we have other misunderstandings and we don't get along well anymore so i think it's right we go our separate ways. although our marriage may seem to come to an end, i really like her as a person, she left her life behind to be with me in Finland and she likes it here and would like to school,work,etc. she has her Extended permit already, so i would like to know if there is a particular time we need to be married or live together before we can put in the divorce or if i put in the divorce because our marriage is just one year, will she be ripped off her resident permit? or is there something else we can do?

sorry for the long note but your advice will be appreciated. kiitos.
Until she has a permanent residence permit she always needs a valid reason to extend (work etc) and the permit can be cancelled if the reason for the permit ceases to exist.

heretostay

Re: possible Divorce and residence permit

Post by heretostay » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:54 am

If the two of you decide that it is best for her to stay in Finland, then my opinion….Find a way to stay married on paper until she gets a P (permanent) permit approved. She is eligible to apply one she has been 4 years on A permit without interrruption. But don’t register separate addresses with DVV. Migri will definitely check this in the permit application process.