How to start a company in this case

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
seti

Post by seti » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:47 pm

Hi!

I'm a fulltime employee for a company and my spouse will start to Finnish course soon. The question is... we want to start a company for our hobby works. We have tested and we feel that we can sell our products but to do this in a legal way we need a VAT number. I don't prefer to establish the company to not get in trouble with my (american) employer and wife may lose her right to start Finnish course. Btw, I just help my spouse, lots of job would be done by her.

Is there any agent or something to use in this case? I checked ukko.fi but they only help for freelance jobs, if you sell your products online they don't help.

Thanks for reading :beer_yum:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: How to start a company in this case

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:32 am

seti wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:47 pm
I'm a fulltime employee for a company and my spouse will start to Finnish course soon. The question is... we want to start a company for our hobby works. We have tested and we feel that we can sell our products but to do this in a legal way we need a VAT number. I don't prefer to establish the company to not get in trouble with my (american) employer and wife may lose her right to start Finnish course. Btw, I just help my spouse, lots of job would be done by her.
If your wife is receiving unemployment benefits paid from Finnish taxes, she cannot legally work for a business (no matter who owns it) without telling the employment office, since it might affect the welfare payments she receives.

seti

Post by seti » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:22 pm

Thanks for your reply Finlandgirl!

Actually she (or me ) doesn't get any benefits right now (only child benefits) but she will probably get when she starts to Finnish course. I know the question is a bit weird but just wanted to get you guys opinions'. Seems like we have to wait for proper conditions. Thanks all.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:59 pm

seti wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:47 pm
Why do you need a VAT number? For tax purposes it’s not required for hobby works.

” All companies that sell goods or services for more than €15,000 per accounting period (12 months) must be entered in the VAT register.”

https://www.vero.fi/en/businesses-and-c ... r-for-vat/

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:05 pm

seti wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:22 pm
Thanks for your reply Finlandgirl!

Actually she (or me ) doesn't get any benefits right now (only child benefits) but she will probably get when she starts to Finnish course. I know the question is a bit weird buth just wanted to get you guys opinions'. Seems like we have to wait for proper conditions. Thanks all.
” If the TE Services determine that you have a part-time business, you are usually entitled to unemployment benefits. Your business income is taken into account when the amount of the benefits are calculated”

https://www.suomi.fi/company/starting-a ... reneurship

seti

Post by seti » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:43 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:59 pm

Why do you need a VAT number? For tax purposes it’s not required for hobby works.

” All companies that sell goods or services for more than €15,000 per accounting period (12 months) must be entered in the VAT register.”

https://www.vero.fi/en/businesses-and-c ... r-for-vat/
@Betelgeuse many thanks for the replies! These were really helpful! I remember that I've read it somewhere (maybe businessfinland) the limit you can earn without VAT is max. €5,000. But I'm really happy now for being wrong. :D

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:28 am

seti wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:43 pm
I remember that I've read it somewhere (maybe businessfinland) the limit you can earn without VAT is max. €5,000.
You should read https://newcohelsinki.fi/wp-content/upl ... d_2022.pdf