Cohabitation/Marriage, apply for residence in US or Finland? Freelancer advice?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Gallychou

Post by Gallychou » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:11 pm

Hi, I have not found a very similar post, but please let me know if there is one. :)

Some info:
The goal would be to move to Finland in the future with my finnish partner.
We are living together in a Non-EU country (USA) for already more than 2 years.
I am non-EU.
I could most likely continue my job as a freelancer and would not seek a new job.
Already taking finnish lessons. Already have been to Finland many times.

Has anyone applied for the Cohabitation/Marriage recently? What were wait times like?

Did you apply from within Finland? Is it true that the city can make a difference for the wait?

Does marriage make a difference or cohabitation is exactly the same for migri? (sounds like same category on site...but in practice?)

If you have applied for such residency, can you do it from USA if you and you finnish partner are cohabitating there?
Can you apply in advance if you know you will move in 2024. (just a possible example)

Are there specific steps to complete if you are a freelancer? The target would be not to stop working if at all possible during the move/wait time.
I would not need to seek a job in Finland most likely. My current employer would keep me as a freelancer (now current full-time employee).

If you applied for the residency in Finland, did you get a particular health insurance while waiting?

Sorry if i missed some info in other posts....latest wait time or info are always good since everything can change!

Kiitos/Thanks! :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Cohabitation/Marriage, apply for residence in US or Finland? Freelancer advice?

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:00 pm

Gallychou wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:11 pm
The goal would be to move to Finland in the future with my finnish partner.
We are living together in a Non-EU country (USA) for already more than 2 years.
I am non-EU.
I could most likely continue my job as a freelancer and would not seek a new job.
Already taking finnish lessons. Already have been to Finland many times.

Has anyone applied for the Cohabitation/Marriage recently? What were wait times like?
The 9 months estimate from Migri seems to match what people experience in practice.
Gallychou wrote:
Does marriage make a difference or cohabitation is exactly the same for migri? (sounds like same category on site...but in practice?)
Both give the same rights, but the formal existence of a marriage might be easier and faster to check for Migri than whatever documents you have for cohabitation. It is unlikely that this is a big difference in practice.
Gallychou wrote:
If you have applied for such residency, can you do it from USA if you and you finnish partner are cohabitating there?
Can you apply in advance if you know you will move in 2024. (just a possible example)
RESIDENCE PERMIT APPLICATION FOR THE SPOUSE OF A FINNISH CITIZEN wrote: When do you intend to move to Finland (dd.mm.yyyy)?
If the planned moving date is in 2024, you should ask Migri how far in advance they accept applications.
Gallychou wrote:
Are there specific steps to complete if you are a freelancer?
https://newcohelsinki.fi/wp-content/upl ... d_2022.pdf
Gallychou wrote:
The target would be not to stop working if at all possible during the move/wait time.
I would not need to seek a job in Finland most likely. My current employer would keep me as a freelancer (now current full-time employee).
It might work that you stop working in your employment with all salary paid on one day, and the next day you register in Finland as resident who is from that day liable to Finnish taxes for all income/inheritances/gifts/... received worldwide. Business registration might take a few days. Taking 2-4 weeks break between the end of your employment and the start of your freelance work for sorting things out and getting settled might remove a lot of stress.

Gallychou

Re: Cohabitation/Marriage, apply for residence in US or Finland? Freelancer advice?

Post by Gallychou » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:13 pm

Great answers! Thanks so much.

You are right...probably leaving a ''buffer'' between the full-time employment and freelance makes sense.

I emailed to know about how long in advance you can submit application since in our case we will know the date quite in advance most likely and we would be moving together at the same time. (from US or Finland...) I'll post if I get a reply in case it can help others.

Thanks! Kiitos!