housing, quality of construction

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:59 pm

Hi all,

So, I am not a building / engineering expert, need to ask two questions.

1. Detached wooden house (omakotitalo), the inside-part of the outer edges seem quite cold to feel and touch. Is that normal? Can I assume a lack of insulation? It is not just one room, but all the inner-side of the outer edges in all the rooms.

And in particular, I am not sure if this was even checked in the kuntotarkastus!

2. So, we bought a home gym, which is about 90 kgs. on the weights. Does it affect the beams of the house? Or can it withstand it?

Many thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

kalaizanala

Re: housing, quality of construction

Post by kalaizanala » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:15 pm

network_engineer wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:59 pm
Hi all,

So, I am not a building / engineering expert, need to ask two questions.

1. Detached wooden house (omakotitalo), the inside-part of the outer edges seem quite cold to feel and touch. Is that normal? Can I assume a lack of insulation? It is not just one room, but all the inner-side of the outer edges in all the rooms.

And in particular, I am not sure if this was even checked in the kuntotarkastus!

2. So, we bought a home gym, which is about 90 kgs. on the weights. Does it affect the beams of the house? Or can it withstand it?

Many thanks!
1. It can be because of cold bridges in house corners. Usually, corners are places of location of wooden studs. Thermal conductivity of wood is higher relatively to insulation materials. So, in the corner temperature can be lower but very not much.
2. According to Finnish national annex for Eurocode 1990 the maximum imposed load to area is 2,0 kN/m2 (or 2,0 kN point load) for residential building. It means that if your house was done properly with respect to Finnish construction law it should handle about 200 kg of weight per square meter.

network_engineer

Re: housing, quality of construction

Post by network_engineer » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:27 pm

kalaizanala wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:15 pm
1. It can be because of cold bridges in house corners. Usually, corners are places of location of wooden studs. Thermal conductivity of wood is higher relatively to insulation materials. So, in the corner temperature can be lower but very not much.
Thanks, so, how much would be an acceptable temperature variance between let's say 1 meter from the edges versus the edges of the room?
kalaizanala wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:15 pm
2. According to Finnish national annex for Eurocode 1990 the maximum imposed load to area is 2,0 kN/m2 (or 2,0 kN point load) for residential building. It means that if your house was done properly with respect to Finnish construction law it should handle about 200 kg of weight per square meter.
The building is a pre-fabricated structure (I think in Finnish, pakettitalo). Built 2002. I assume these structures are conformant by default, or could they vary?