Curing acne in Finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
linknh0k

Curing acne in Finland

Post by linknh0k » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:47 am

Hi, i'm a foreigner in Finland & having skin problem (acne). I believe my acne is result of hormone imbalance. I want to take test for that but do not know if hospitals here provides this kind of test. I also consider go to Student Healthcare Service (YTHS). Anyone have any experience in curing acne & hormone imbalance? Please share with me, I'm really greatful.

Curing acne in Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Tiina_Finn23

Re: Curing acne in Finland

Post by Tiina_Finn23 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:43 pm

Firstly, I feel your pain! Sorry for the long post but wanted to give as much information about my circumstances in the hope it is useful to you!

I had clear skin all throughout my teens but when I hit my twenties I started to flare up very badly in random bouts. I saw a doctor in the UK who said it was hormones and not to worry about it. But I did worry about it for another ten years! My skin would flare up for a few months, calm down for a few months and so on. I was scared to go back to the doctor in case they said there was nothing they could do again because if I was told that when my acne was bad I might've done something not worth thinking about now. There were times that it ruined my life!

Eventually after a particularly bad flare up I did go to the doctor again, ten years later, terrified nothing could be done but desperate for a cure. This doctor was a lot more helpful and she suggested I get tested for polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), and it was confirmed. This was likely causing my bad skin due to hormonal fluctuations. I'm not sure if you are female - so apologies if this doesn't help. I was offered a contraceptive pill called Dianette which although was a contraceptive was specifically designed for bad skin. Not only did it change my skin (after a month or so) it calmed my horrendous mood swings and I felt like a normal person! The pill is quite strong so after a year on Dianette I went on to use Yasmin and i'm now on a much milder pill called Marvelon. The aim is to go on a standard pill eventually but my doctor doesn't want to rush the process.

I still get the odd spot but these are what I call "normal people spots" and nothing like the acne I used to suffer from. I am moving to Finland in the next few months and hopefully I can find the same or similar pills when I move. luckily I have a year's supply of pills at the moment. I'm not sure if contraceptives are free in Finland but they are in the UK. Regardless, I would definitely see a doctor and insist on being given help to combat your bad skin.

A friend of mine went on a 6 month course of Roaccutane - this is a very strong acne drug which I was reluctant to try but if there had been no other options I would have taken it.

Some foods may aggravate your skin, I try not to drink milk as supposedly it causes inflammation. I also use Lycogel makeup which is good for your skin and doesn't clog (dermatologist approved) and use cleansers and moisturisers from dermatologists so as not to aggravate my skin. I also just finished a course of Derma rolling to get rid of very old scarring which has been a real confidence boost! I also find a good old Finnish sauna helps :D

Good luck to you!

linknh0k

Post by linknh0k » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:32 pm

Tiina_Finn23 wrote:Firstly, I feel your pain! Sorry for the long post but wanted to give as much information about my circumstances in the hope it is useful to you!

I had clear skin all throughout my teens but when I hit my twenties I started to flare up very badly in random bouts. I saw a doctor in the UK who said it was hormones and not to worry about it. But I did worry about it for another ten years! My skin would flare up for a few months, calm down for a few months and so on. I was scared to go back to the doctor in case they said there was nothing they could do again because if I was told that when my acne was bad I might've done something not worth thinking about now. There were times that it ruined my life!

Eventually after a particularly bad flare up I did go to the doctor again, ten years later, terrified nothing could be done but desperate for a cure. This doctor was a lot more helpful and she suggested I get tested for polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), and it was confirmed. This was likely causing my bad skin due to hormonal fluctuations. I'm not sure if you are female - so apologies if this doesn't help. I was offered a contraceptive pill called Dianette which although was a contraceptive was specifically designed for bad skin. Not only did it change my skin (after a month or so) it calmed my horrendous mood swings and I felt like a normal person! The pill is quite strong so after a year on Dianette I went on to use Yasmin and i'm now on a much milder pill called Marvelon. The aim is to go on a standard pill eventually but my doctor doesn't want to rush the process.

I still get the odd spot but these are what I call "normal people spots" and nothing like the acne I used to suffer from. I am moving to Finland in the next few months and hopefully I can find the same or similar pills when I move. luckily I have a year's supply of pills at the moment. I'm not sure if contraceptives are free in Finland but they are in the UK. Regardless, I would definitely see a doctor and insist on being given help to combat your bad skin.

A friend of mine went on a 6 month course of Roaccutane - this is a very strong acne drug which I was reluctant to try but if there had been no other options I would have taken it.

Some foods may aggravate your skin, I try not to drink milk as supposedly it causes inflammation. I also use Lycogel makeup which is good for your skin and doesn't clog (dermatologist approved) and use cleansers and moisturisers from dermatologists so as not to aggravate my skin. I also just finished a course of Derma rolling to get rid of very old scarring which has been a real confidence boost! I also find a good old Finnish sauna helps :D

Good luck to you!
Hi, thank you for your helpful information :D . May I ask some questions: did you go to dermatologists or general doctor? And does the pills have any side effects?

Tiina_Finn23

Post by Tiina_Finn23 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:58 pm

I went to a doctor who then referred me to the hospital to get tested for PCOS (in the UK). Then I went back to the doctors to discuss my results. We decided I would try Dianette. I understand it can take a few months for non-urgent appointments in Finland so the sooner you go the better in my opinion.

Your doctor will go over the risks of the pill if you are interested in going on it (and if it is appropriate for you). All contraceptive pills have risks and using one to combat skin comes with higher risk of deep vein thrombosis and blood clots so they are not recommended for people who smoke. I also ensure to keep active and wear DVT socks for flights and move around lots. Make sure you write down all the questions you want to ask your doctor while you're there.

In the past year I have been to see a private clinic for derma rolling sessions to get rid of scars (which was expensive and uncomfortable!) and it's here where I've been given advice about the right products to use. (My dermatologist recommended Aveeno moisturiser as one of the best high street brands if money is an issue). If you do see a dermatologist they will recommend the specific type of cleansers, moisturisers which are best for your skin type and although these can be expensive they tend to last longer as they are highly concentrated and you don't need to use as much.

Be wary of cosmetic counters and designer names which claim to be good for your skin but actually cause problems. Also, check out "oil pulling" on youtube.

linknh0k

Post by linknh0k » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:15 pm

Tiina_Finn23 wrote:I went to a doctor who then referred me to the hospital to get tested for PCOS (in the UK). Then I went back to the doctors to discuss my results. We decided I would try Dianette. I understand it can take a few months for non-urgent appointments in Finland so the sooner you go the better in my opinion.

Your doctor will go over the risks of the pill if you are interested in going on it (and if it is appropriate for you). All contraceptive pills have risks and using one to combat skin comes with higher risk of deep vein thrombosis and blood clots so they are not recommended for people who smoke. I also ensure to keep active and wear DVT socks for flights and move around lots. Make sure you write down all the questions you want to ask your doctor while you're there.

In the past year I have been to see a private clinic for derma rolling sessions to get rid of scars (which was expensive and uncomfortable!) and it's here where I've been given advice about the right products to use. (My dermatologist recommended Aveeno moisturiser as one of the best high street brands if money is an issue). If you do see a dermatologist they will recommend the specific type of cleansers, moisturisers which are best for your skin type and although these can be expensive they tend to last longer as they are highly concentrated and you don't need to use as much.

Be wary of cosmetic counters and designer names which claim to be good for your skin but actually cause problems. Also, check out "oil pulling" on youtube.
Thank you so much for your reply :D I'll try to follow your advice. Good luck to you too.

Kate_Reed32

Post by Kate_Reed32 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:51 pm

I know that various kinds of acids help, such as alpha hydroxy, salicylic and lactic ones. They improve the skin's texture and pigmentation. Here's more detailed article https://beautysecretkeeper.com/how-to-g ... e-at-home/

DetectiveCat

Post by DetectiveCat » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:03 pm

Hello.

I can tell how I started the "fight". Actually, it wasn't so difficult. First I went to gp (yleislääkäri) to explain my problem, they start the course from gel with isotretinoine (Acnatac) plus antibiotics for 3 months. Gp can start the treatment but if it won't work, they send you to dermatologist. Then dermatologist offers other options. At least, in public healthcare will be cheaper. Methods are same anyway. Good luck! I know how sh-ty that problem is.