rental security deposit

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
mojo88

rental security deposit

Post by mojo88 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:18 pm

Is there an alternative legal method to get your apartment inspected before moving out -that can be legally classified as 100% clean, nothing broken etc?

because I was already screwed over by a previous landlord who took my full security deposit for no good reason & zero evidence. And the apartment was spotless!

I must move again from a different apartment and this security deposit is alot more (about 600€) and I dont want to be screwed again.

And the rental contract says I must wait 2 weeks before the deposit it returned to my bank account.

How do I know the landlord will not just make up some bull*%$# to try and cash in on my 600€ ?

when I moved into this current apartment it was filthy, there were stains all over the walls, huge coffee stains on the windows & this weird large stain on the kitchen floor looked like somebody had a heart attack or something and died on the spot and their body fluids stained the place & was not even cleaned away!

not to mention the hundreds of dead flies in between the windows! this place was disgusting.

I have obviously now cleaned the whole apartment myself..

Is there another method I can use to get some legal person to check the apartment and get it certified 100% or do I have to "hope & pray" the landlord wont screw me?

How does it work in Finland with this situation?
:ohno:

rental security deposit

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: rental security deposit

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:29 pm

mojo88 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:18 pm
Is there an alternative legal method to get your apartment inspected before moving out -that can be legally classified as 100% clean, nothing broken etc?

because I was already screwed over by a previous landlord who took my full security deposit for no good reason & zero evidence. And the apartment was spotless!

I must move again from a different apartment and this security deposit is alot more (about 600€) and I dont want to be screwed again.

And the rental contract says I must wait 2 weeks before the deposit it returned to my bank account.

How do I know the landlord will not just make up some bull*%$# to try and cash in on my 600€ ?

when I moved into this current apartment it was filthy, there were stains all over the walls, huge coffee stains on the windows & this weird large stain on the kitchen floor looked like somebody had a heart attack or something and died on the spot and their body fluids stained the place & was not even cleaned away!

not to mention the hundreds of dead flies in between the windows! this place was disgusting.

I have obviously now cleaned the whole apartment myself..

Is there another method I can use to get some legal person to check the apartment and get it certified 100% or do I have to "hope & pray" the landlord wont screw me?
There isn’t. However, having a witness is useful.
mojo88 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:18 pm
How does it work in Finland with this situation?
:ohno:
You contract a lawyer and get the deposit back through courts. As a first step, one can get a non binding opinion from the Consumer Disputes Board. Clearly baseless holding of deposits can be reported to the police.

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:24 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:29 pm
Would a thourough video do?

mojo88

The Finnish Consumer Disputes Board

Post by mojo88 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:50 pm

The Finnish Consumer Disputes Board is a government organ operating under the Finnish Ministry of Justice. As an impartial alternative dispute resolution (ADR) body, the Board issues recommendations on disputes between consumers and businesses. The members of the Board are nominated by the Ministry of Justice. Consumer and industry groups have equal representation. Considerable emphasis is put on the legal accuracy of decisions.

Because the Board is a government organisation, we can only accept complaints in the official languages of Finland, i.e., Finnish and Swedish. However, because the Board also functions as a National Enforcement Body in matters relating to Regulation (EC) 261/2004, complaints pertaining to flight cancellation, flight delays and denied boarding can be filed in English.

Consumer advisors give you guidance as well as help in mediating disputes. Consumer advisory services are free of charge. You can contact the consumer advisor by phone, by e-mail or at their local offices. To facilitate the faster resolution of disputes, first try to negotiate with the seller. The website of National Consumer Agency (https://www.kkv.fi/en/consumer-advice/ ) gives you a lot of useful information. National phone number for consumer advisory services: 029 505 3050.

To maintain impartiality, we do not provide guidance or assistance to individual persons or companies. For the same reason, we're unable to comment on the specifics of your case at this point. If you wish, you can file a complaint with the Board.

The postal address of the Board is as follows:
Kuluttajariitalautakunta/Konsumenttvistenämnden

P.O. Box 306

FI-00531 Helsinki

FINLAND

Our official email address is [email protected] which can be used for sending PDF documents and other attachments. Please address all complaints and other official documents to [email protected]

You can also fill out our complaint form (in Finnish or Swedish) online: https://asiointi.kuluttajariita.fi/kuluttaja/#/

For additional information, please visit our webpage: https://www.kuluttajariita.fi/en/index.html

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:26 pm

ajdias wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:24 am
betelgeuse wrote:
Would a thourough video do?
I would take one.

mojo88

OK... So first I must get screwed - inevitable

Post by mojo88 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:34 pm

The Consumer Disputes Board is an impartial and independent resolver of disputes. We provide recommendations for the settlement of legal disputes between consumers and companies.

First file a complaint with the company, seller or landlord to whom the case applies. Then contact the Consumer Advisory Service. If the dispute cannot be resolved there either, you can ask the Consumer Disputes Board for a ruling:

agroot

Post by agroot » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:29 am

betelgeuse wrote:
You contract a lawyer and get the deposit back through courts. As a first step, one can get a non binding opinion from the Consumer Disputes Board. Clearly baseless holding of deposits can be reported to the police.
Is there a rule how long they can hold it?

In my case there are things to fix and the deposit is in a guarantee account they cannot access, but it appears they haven't done anything and kept holding it for 3 months already (I also told them to send me bills but nothing), probably waiting for new tenant, and barely replied my messages or emails. Is my first step to report to police station or the board?

PS: I'm not in hurry for getting my money released anymore but just worried. Is this common with individual landlords?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:52 pm

agroot wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:29 am
betelgeuse wrote:
Is there a rule how long they can hold it?
It’s not codified.
agroot wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:29 am
In my case there are things to fix and the deposit is in a guarantee account they cannot access, but it appears they haven't done anything and kept holding it for 3 months already (I also told them to send me bills but nothing), probably waiting for new tenant, and barely replied my messages or emails. Is my first step to report to police station or the board?

PS: I'm not in hurry for getting my money released anymore but just worried. Is this common with individual landlords?
Three months is excessive. You are entitled to delayed payment interest if there’s no cause. First steps are up to you. I would consult a lawyer since they usually do a first short meeting for free (for sales purposes).

agroot

Post by agroot » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:07 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:52 pm
Three months is excessive. You are entitled to delayed payment interest if there’s no cause. First steps are up to you. I would consult a lawyer since they usually do a first short meeting for free (for sales purposes).
What's the role of police or Consumer Disputes Board in such matters? Or, should I try to get a lawyer directly?

But if the matter is settled before it reaches court, how can I force the landlord to pay for lawyer's cost?

Would there be any problem to me if I delay this matter for several months?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:28 pm

agroot wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:07 pm
What's the role of police or Consumer Disputes Board in such matters?
As already refenced in this thread, it’s ADR.
agroot wrote:
Or, should I try to get a lawyer directly?
My answers won’t change by asking multiple times.
agroot wrote:
But if the matter is settled before it reaches court, how can I force the landlord to pay for lawyer's cost?
By including them in the settlement.
agroot wrote:
Would there be any problem to me if I delay this matter for several months?
There are scenarios in which it’s harmful.

agroot

Post by agroot » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:18 pm

Thanks! The landlord got a new tenant and resolved the problem.