Changing the power socket in my apartment

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
crisach

Post by crisach » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:04 am

Hello,

I did some renovation in the house and decided to change the power outlets as well (not the washing machines, fridge or oven). I bought them from amazon and install them myself. The house association by chance noticed that I changed them and asking me to provide proof that some certified electrician did the work ( I did not tell than I did it).

I am confused about this rules.

What can I do now? REmove the the new sockets and call an electrician to install them again?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: Changing the power socket in my apartment

Post by heretostay » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:19 am

Maybe an electrician can come and inspect the work you did?

Plumbing and electrical work in Finland is not a d.I.y. thing and requires certified professionals.

crisach

Post by crisach » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:25 am

heretostay wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:19 am

Plumbing and electrical work in Finland is not a d.I.y. thing and requires certified professionals.
I have no choice but to get an electrician. It costs 200 per visit (minimum 2 hours). My worry is that I will get some fine.

browndude

Post by browndude » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:35 pm

crisach wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:25 am
heretostay wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:19 am

I have no choice but to get an electrician. It costs 200 per visit (minimum 2 hours). My worry is that I will get some fine.
Welcome to Sääntö-Suomi! There are rules for absolutely everything here!! You should ask directly if you will get a fine for this and try to talk them out of it or something since no damage occured. But yes, you have no choice in this case but to have them replaced by an electrician. It is always a bit iffy doing any kind of repairs on a taloyhtiö type house without asking for permission. Even in a house that you own, if you do some plumbing or electrical work and there is some electrical/water damage that arises later on, insurance might not cover it if it was due to work not done by a certified professional.
ImageImage

riku2

Post by riku2 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:24 am

The insurance companies have all kinds of strange rules in Finland. You are not supposed to run dishwashers or clothes washing machines unattended otherwise they will not payout for any damage (despite many machines having a built in timer for exactly this purpose). You are also supposed to turn off the water supply tap when the machine is not running (despite many machines have a lump in the supply pipe which is an electrically powered valve that does exactly the same job but totally automatically).
Meanwhile the standard elecrical rules in Finland (what would be called "code" in the USA) lag behind those of other countries. Most require individual RCD's per circuit (not one RCD covering the whole flat or large parts of a house). Where are the requirements for SPDs (surge protection device)? or AFD requirement (arc fault detection which is often mandatory in the USA).