EU right of residence and divorce

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
krapulassa

Post by krapulassa » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:32 pm

I live in Turku with my wife who is a Greek citizen. I have an EU right of residence card for a family member. We have been having relationship problems recently. If my wife files for divorce now, can I still become eligible for citizenship in 5 years time? My residence card is 5 years long.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

ajdias

Re: EU right of residence and divorce

Post by ajdias » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:53 pm

Can you any be more specific? </sarcasm> If I were living in your city, and knew your wife or you, I would prob be able to identify you :)
If you want to keep anonymity, given how delicate the subject is, consider editing away the location, and your wife nationality.
If you don't care, just disregard my comment. Hope your problems get solved one way or the other. I don't have the answer you need, but hope you don't stay in a bed relationship for the sake of an visa.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:30 pm

krapulassa wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:32 pm
I live in Turku with my wife who is a Greek citizen. I have an EU right of residence card for a family member. We have been having relationship problems recently. If my wife files for divorce now, can I still become eligible for citizenship in 5 years time? My residence card is 5 years long.
Section 161e

https://www.finlex.fi/en/laki/kaannokse ... 040301.pdf

krapulassa

Post by krapulassa » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:04 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:30 pm
Section 161e

https://www.finlex.fi/en/laki/kaannokse ... 040301.pdf
Section 161e says:

(2) Family members of a Union citizen who themselves are not Union citizens do not lose their
right of residence in the event of divorce if:
1) the marriage has lasted at least three years, including one year in Finland;

So this means that if we stay married for 3 years, I cannot lose my right to live in Finland or the right to become a citizen?

emmausa

Post by emmausa » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:11 am

If you have been married to your wife for more than 3 years, after the divorce, you will not have your residence card confiscated.