Looking For My Great-Grandmother's Birth Certificate

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
langdonian

Post by langdonian » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:35 am

I believe I am able to apply for Finnish residency on the basis that my great-grandmother was born there. I believe that my grandmother is unknowingly a Finnish citizen, and that I potentially have the right to apply through her. However, I don't know where to start to locate my great-grandmother's birth- certificate.

My great-grandmother was born in Korsholm, Mustarri Municipality, Ostrobothnia, Finland on 21, May 1913. Her name was Ingebor Broos, and I am told she was born in a Swedish-speaking part of Finland. I understand that Finland was not an independent nation at this point, but as I understand the situation, she should still have been a citizen.

This is what I understand about my great-grandmother. I would be greatly appreciative if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: Looking For My Great-Grandmother's Birth Certificate

Post by heretostay » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:51 pm

I don’t know where your grandparents lived but If your grandmother was a US citizen then she may not have been also a Finnish citizen because becore 1967, dual citizenship was not permitted in the United States.

langdonian

Post by langdonian » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:04 pm

In the eyes of the U.S she may not have been. But it doesn't matter what the U.S thinks in this case, it only matters what Finland thinks.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:10 pm

langdonian wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:35 am
I don't know where to start to locate my great-grandmother's birth- certificate.

My great-grandmother was born in Korsholm, Mustarri Municipality, Ostrobothnia, Finland on 21, May 1913.
Send an email (in English) to the parish where her birth was recorded:
https://www.korsholmssvenskaforsamling.fi/kontakt
langdonian wrote:
Her name was Ingebor Broos,
Ingeborg Brors
langdonian wrote:
and I am told she was born in a Swedish-speaking part of Finland.
Yes.
langdonian wrote:
I understand that Finland was not an independent nation at this point, but as I understand the situation, she should still have been a citizen.
Yes.
langdonian wrote:
I believe that my grandmother is unknowingly a Finnish citizen,
Before 1984 Finnish citizenship was usually only derived from a Finnish father, not from a Finnish mother.
langdonian wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:04 pm
In the eyes of the U.S she may not have been. But it doesn't matter what the U.S thinks in this case, it only matters what Finland thinks.
Before 2003 Finland did not permit dual citizenship.
If your grandmother ever was a Finnish citizen, she lost that citizenship under the Finnish law at the time due to her US citizenship.

The same applies to your great-grandmother if she acquired US citizenship at some point.

JessieJim1

Post by JessieJim1 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:29 am

You can start by contacting the local registry office in Korsholm or the Mustarri Municipality. You can also try online resources like the Finnish National Archives or hiring a professional genealogist with experience in Finnish research.

Behatee

Post by Behatee » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:44 am

langdonian wrote:
I believe I am able to apply for Finnish residency on the basis that my great-grandmother was born there. I believe that my grandmother is unknowingly a Finnish citizen, and that I potentially have the right to apply through her. However, I don't know where to start to locate my great-grandmother's birth- certificate.

My great-grandmother was born in Korsholm, Mustarri Municipality, Ostrobothnia, Finland on 21, May 1913. Her name was Ingebor Broos, and I am told she was born in a Swedish-speaking part of Finland. I understand that Finland was not an independent nation at this point, but as I understand the situation, she should still have been a citizen.

This is what I understand about my great-grandmother. I would be greatly appreciative if anyone could point me in the right direction.
It may be beneficial to reach out to the Finnish authorities responsible for residency or citizenship matters. They can provide you with accurate and up-to-date information regarding your eligibility and guide you through the necessary steps for applying for Finnish residency based on your lineage.