Working in Finland but not for a Finnish company

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
jbackbier

Post by jbackbier » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:30 pm

Hi
I’m looking to move to Finland due to a relationship. I have an EU passport so the first step is easy. Pondering the registration my job is in IT and they’re happy to let me live in Finland however it isn’t a Finnish company. I’ll be a remote worker.

To register as a EU citizen anyone worked it out this way? I can show contract and payslips and what not. Pay definitely sufficient based on my research.

Also as I’m looking for housing does everything need that personal ID? It appears I can’t register until I’m in Finland however I’d like to organize an apt early so I can move to it immediately. Is it illegal to fly in a month or so ahead and then register?

The company I work is also happy to pay me in Finland however it seems I need that personal id there as well.

It seems I have a little chicken/egg problem to me.

Anyway and advice and experiences they’re willing to share is appreciated.

Thanks
Jay

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Working in Finland but not for a Finnish company

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:24 pm

jbackbier wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:30 pm
I’m looking to move to Finland due to a relationship. I have an EU passport so the first step is easy. Pondering the registration my job is in IT and they’re happy to let me live in Finland however it isn’t a Finnish company. I’ll be a remote worker.
Self-employed, or employed as cross-border worker with your employer reporting the salary payments to the Finnish Incomes Register?
jbackbier wrote:
To register as a EU citizen anyone worked it out this way? I can show contract and payslips and what not. Pay definitely sufficient based on my research.
Yes, there shouldn't be any problem.
jbackbier wrote:
Also as I’m looking for housing does everything need that personal ID?
In practice there are many places where it will be required.
jbackbier wrote:
It appears I can’t register until I’m in Finland however I’d like to organize an apt early so I can move to it immediately. Is it illegal to fly in a month or so ahead and then register?
You have to register your residence (and start paying taxes on your worldwide income/inheritances/gifts in Finland) when you move your residence to Finland.

This is separate from the EU registration that has to be done within 3 months of moving.

You can try asking DVV or Vero whether they might issue an ID before the actual move.

betelgeuse

Re: Working in Finland but not for a Finnish company

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:27 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:24 pm
You can try asking DVV or Vero whether they might issue an ID before the actual move.
I don’t have recent experience but previously Vero has issued the ID for registration with a foreign address as long as there’s a contract to justify tax related registration.