Layoffs in Finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
riku2

Re: Layoffs in Finland

Post by riku2 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:07 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:32 pm
In Finland you have to work and are receiving your normal salary until the end of the notice period, which is likely either 2 weeks or 1 month for you.
The "you have to work" part is not true, the company can pay you until the end of the notice period but tell you that your work stops immediately. In this situation you're free to get another job. In my situation the company firing asked if we'd like the six months pay in one go or as six monthly payments. So for the next six months I was paid a salary for doing nothing. I found a new job in 6 weeks. So for over 4 months I was on double salary from two companies. I even had the company car from the old company for the first five months of the new job with the new company!

Being fired from a small company (12 in Finland in our case) there does not have to be any consultation. I was told about the whole team being fired on Friday 1130 and by Monday 1200 I was out of work (but not out of salary). The joke was that the work was transferred to Poland with zero handover. All ongoing cases just stopped mid flow. I formatted the hard disk of my laptop before giving it back. I'm glad to say the old company went bankrupt within a couple of years and the CEO fired well before that.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:49 pm

riku2 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:07 am
FinlandGirl wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:32 pm
In Finland you have to work and are receiving your normal salary until the end of the notice period, which is likely either 2 weeks or 1 month for you.
The "you have to work" part is not true, the company can pay you until the end of the notice period but tell you that your work stops immediately.
That's an option for the employer, but often the company will require that you work until the last day to finish work and handover work to some not fired colleague.
riku2 wrote:
In this situation you're free to get another job. In my situation the company firing asked if we'd like the six months pay in one go or as six monthly payments. So for the next six months I was paid a salary for doing nothing. I found a new job in 6 weeks. So for over 4 months I was on double salary from two companies. I even had the company car from the old company for the first five months of the new job with the new company!

Being fired from a small company (12 in Finland in our case) there does not have to be any consultation. I was told about the whole team being fired on Friday 1130 and by Monday 1200 I was out of work (but not out of salary).
This is not how things are supposed to work legally.

Most likely everyone found a new job quickly and enjoyed several months of double salary, so noone had a reason to sue against the layoff?
riku2 wrote:
The joke was that the work was transferred to Poland with zero handover. All ongoing cases just stopped mid flow. I formatted the hard disk of my laptop before giving it back. I'm glad to say the old company went bankrupt within a couple of years and the CEO fired well before that.
What you describe sounds like a CEO both being stupid and doing illegal things, which is not the normal situation in Finland.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:29 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:49 pm
This is not how things are supposed to work legally.
Most likely everyone found a new job quickly and enjoyed several months of double salary, so noone had a reason to sue against the layoff?
What was there to sue? Everyone had worked there long enough to need six months paid notice. The HR came over from Canada and said that they are closing the office and this is your last day working, you will receive six months pay.
It sounds better than saying you have to work six months for the six months pay.
Even if you did not find a job quickly you're still getting paid for six months for zero work.

I don't see what they did in Finland was illegal. There were not many employees, they did not need to consult the union. They paid the employees six months salary instead of making them work their six month notice period.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:52 pm

riku2 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:29 pm
I don't see what they did in Finland was illegal. There were not many employees,
Right, I forgot that YT negotiations are mandatory only with at least 20 employees.

ozil-madrid

Post by ozil-madrid » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:06 pm

Thanks folks for your discussions, now I can see that the situation is getting a bit more serious and some branches across the globe got hit and people have been let go. I am part of the YTK kassa only, shall i pay the extra 30 euros approx. fee to get the consultation benefit or is ytk actually not good enough and you folks would recommend some other one?

Please share your experiences as i probably need to join that asap this week i guess. Btw if i pay to get the lawyer kind of help, does it need a certain period before i can use them or can i pay and use them in 1-2 weeks if needed ?

37yqp8098y5

Post by 37yqp8098y5 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:49 am

I am also curious about this. I'm not under any risk of being fired or layed-off but I am curious how long you're able to get the unemployment insurance payment from eg. KOKO-kassa https://kokokassa.fi/en/

I don't see any information where you only get it once, for one month. That sounds like complete nonsense. Why would anyone get unemployment insurance if they only paid for one month? As I understood from them, you can get it every month up to a certain period (usually 6-12 months depending on the length of employment) so long as each of those months you are still unemployed and Kela has continuously validated your eligibility for unemployment.

Can anyone else chime in?

EDIT: Here is what I found on KOKO-kassa website, as you can see it's a LOT more than just 1 month :https://kokokassa.fi/en/duration-allowance-payments/

The amount never really seems to go above 2000e/kk no matter how well you are paid. Still, it's far better than Kela's ̈700e average.
Same with Kela, you need to apply for it every month.
The average Somali and Iraqi costs Finland €12,000 per person, per year.
https://julkaisut.valtioneuvosto.fi/handle/10024/160396