Military service and new citizen

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
LiveInTheReality

Post by LiveInTheReality » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:33 pm

Hi,

Very recently I have received my Finnish citizenship. I am a guy, who's already in my 40s.
I understood that those who are 29/30 will be called up for the military service. So I won't probably be called up, based on this.

However, just in case, if Finland is under attack, I suppose everyone who's under 60 needs to fight against the invaders.
So how does it work in the end? In that situation if I am obligated for some duty, but I am not probably capable.

Does anyone have idea how this works in practice, for the naturalized citizens who are over the age for conscription?

Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Military service and new citizen

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:09 am

LiveInTheReality wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:33 pm
Very recently I have received my Finnish citizenship. I am a guy, who's already in my 40s.
I understood that those who are 29/30 will be called up for the military service. So I won't probably be called up, based on this.

However, just in case, if Finland is under attack, I suppose everyone who's under 60 needs to fight against the invaders.
So how does it work in the end? In that situation if I am obligated for some duty, but I am not probably capable.

Does anyone have idea how this works in practice, for the naturalized citizens who are over the age for conscription?
Since February 24th last year, the government of Ukraine has banned their own male citizens age 18 to 60 from leaving Ukraine and sends Ukrainian men who are trying to flee the war as cannon fodder to the front (or to prison). That's why there are no working-age men among the Ukrainian refugees.

I would expect Finland to similarly ban you from leaving the country in case of war.

Whether you will actually be called up will then depend on the size and duration of the war.
Finland has only around 1.5 million male citizens age 18 to 60, in a war like in Ukraine ever Finnish man that age might be at the front a year after the start.

browndude

Post by browndude » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:44 pm

LiveInTheReality wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:33 pm
Hi,

Thanks!
If Finland gets attacked then as a Finnish citizen you (and me) will probably be called up to serve in some capacity (citizenship has rights as well as obligations). I would not worry about it though because if there is such an attack, it will pobably be curtains for much of the human race :lol:
ImageImage

Y77

Post by Y77 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:16 pm

I am in my 50s and find myself in the same situation, I am an EU citizen, so I didn't really need to apply and get FI citizenship. The only reason why I did it is because my country is a burocratic nightmarish shythole and wanted a stress free way to get my ID card and pass simply delivered to the r-kioski downstairs.

The irony of my current situation is that when I started to think about getting citizenship in 2017 I also told many people I knew that I wasn't sure about it because I had a gut feeling that Russia was up to something and I didn't want to end up fighting at -35 degrees on the eastern front in the near future. Everyone just laughed at me saying"of course this is not going to happen, what are you talking about?" Well, it turned out I was probably right, hopefully It won't happened before I'm 60.

browndude

Post by browndude » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:17 pm

Y77 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:16 pm
I am in my 50s and find myself in the same situation, I am an EU citizen, so I didn't really need to apply and get FI citizenship. The only reason why I did it is because my country is a burocratic nightmarish shythole and wanted a stress free way to get my ID card and pass simply delivered to the r-kioski downstairs.

The irony of my current situation is that when I started to think about getting citizenship in 2017 I also told many people I knew that I wasn't sure about it because I had a gut feeling that Russia was up to something and I didn't want to end up fighting at -35 degrees on the eastern front in the near future. Everyone just laughed at me saying"of course this is not going to happen, what are you talking about?" Well, it turned out I was probably right, hopefully It won't happened before I'm 60.
If Russia attacks, it will be a world war and there will most likely be nowhere to hide :lol: So why worry about such things.
ImageImage