Law/Customs around campfire sites in Finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
jperickson

Post by jperickson » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:45 am

What is the law or the custom around extinguishing campfires in campfire sites when you're the last one there? Where I am from, you absolutely must extinguish a fire when leaving given the chance of forest fire. However, in Finland, especially on nice days, so many people come to cook on the fires that if you just coincidentally happen to be the last person there, it seems unnecessary to extinguish the fire as the next person who may be only a short distance away will need to start the fire from scratch again. So, what is the actual law and/or customs around this? And if you extinguish the fire, is it best to use dirt or water? Water also seems problematic to me as it makes it harder to restart the fire a short time later. Thank you for any insight!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: Law/Customs around campfire sites in Finland

Post by heretostay » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:31 pm

You must not leave an unattended fire burning.

betelgeuse

Re: Law/Customs around campfire sites in Finland

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:14 pm

jperickson wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:45 am
What is the law or the custom around extinguishing campfires in campfire sites when you're the last one there? Where I am from, you absolutely must extinguish a fire when leaving given the chance of forest fire. However, in Finland, especially on nice days, so many people come to cook on the fires that if you just coincidentally happen to be the last person there, it seems unnecessary to extinguish the fire as the next person who may be only a short distance away will need to start the fire from scratch again. So, what is the actual law and/or customs around this? And if you extinguish the fire, is it best to use dirt or water? Water also seems problematic to me as it makes it harder to restart the fire a short time later. Thank you for any insight!
"Everyone shall be careful to avoid the risk of a fire or other accident and the damage it causes."

https://finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokset/20 ... 110379.pdf