Applying RP in Finland vs abroad (spouse)

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Mai123

Post by Mai123 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:18 pm

Hi!

Can applying for recidence permit in Finland have negative effect on decision?

I am finnish citizen and my husband is non EU. Migri told me that applying in Finland is not recemmonended and its exceptional. This is confusing because I have read about many people coming to Finland and apply here.

Other thing is, we need to sort of lie that he is returting to his home country, since he needs to have return flight ticket in order to come to Finland (visa free btw). Can this cause problem?

Thanks a lot in case anyone can help!!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

mdoesde

Re: Applying RP in Finland vs abroad (spouse)

Post by mdoesde » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:40 am

Mai123 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:18 pm
Hi!
tunnel rush

I am finnish citizen and my husband is non EU. Migri told me that applying in Finland is not recemmonended and its exceptional. This is confusing because I have read about many people coming to Finland and apply here.

Other thing is, we need to sort of lie that he is returting to his home country, since he needs to have return flight ticket in order to come to Finland (visa free btw). Can this cause problem?

You can go to the embassy to ask more details.

Mai123

Post by Mai123 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:59 pm

mdoesde wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:40 am
Mai123 wrote:
Hi!
tunnel rush

Thanks! But this is not unfortunately helping me since I have already asked immigration as I said. I would like to know other peoples experiences about applying in Finland if possible :)

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:26 am

Mai123 wrote:
No.
Jokujossain wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:07 pm
A friend of mine on the other hand did the same and waited for 5 months. That means 5 months without working rights
Even 5 months is pretty fast.

The current estimate from Migri is 6 months, and it can happen that it takes over a year.

browndude

Post by browndude » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:18 am

Jokujossain wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:07 pm
Mai123 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:59 pm
mdoesde wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:40 am

Thanks! But this is not unfortunately helping me since I have already asked immigration as I said. I would like to know other peoples experiences about applying in Finland if possible :)
Hello. I'm from a visa-free country. Came to Finland as a tourist, got married here, applied for my first residence permit a few days later and went to Migri with my spouse by my side. They checked all my papers, the stamps on my passport showing when I entered the Schengen area (to make sure I didn't overstay) and asked things about our relationship to both of us (like travels, how many times we've met etc).
Got a positive decision 3 weeks later. So I'd say it didn't have any negative effect for me.

A friend of mine on the other hand did the same and waited for 5 months. That means 5 months without working rights, no public healthcare and a lot of anxiety and the fear of a negative decision.

I'm just showing you both sides of the coin.
In your case, I think the fact that you are from a visa-free country means that they are less likely to scrutinize your application too intensely.
ImageImage