Residency Permit with an EU Spouse

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
HungryPenguin

Post by HungryPenguin » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:47 pm

Hello Forum,

I am an EU citizen that has moved to Finland. My fiance is from Turkey. At the moment she does not have a Schengen Visa or a Finnish Residency Permit.
Our plan is to get married soon and move together to Finland. We have some questions regarding the steps. Maybe someone has been in the same situation.

After we get married and get our certificates, she will apply for Schengen Visa at the Turkish Embassy/Consulate. At the same time she will apply for "Residence card in Finland for a family member of an EU citizen" (https://migri.fi/en/residence-card-for-family-members).

With the visa she has to follow the 90/180 rule from what I understand, but after she gets the Residence Card she will be able to stay in Finland for longer.

Will she be able to travel across Europe with the Residency Permit?
Does anyone have an idea on how much time it will take to get the Residency Card? I know on the website it says 6 months, but maybe reality can be different.

Any information or advice on this situation is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Residency Permit with an EU Spouse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:56 am

HungryPenguin wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:47 pm
I am an EU citizen that has moved to Finland. My fiance is from Turkey. At the moment she does not have a Schengen Visa or a Finnish Residency Permit.
As a family member of an EU citizen, she does not need a residence permit. Residence card for a family member is not a residence permit but a separate thing.
HungryPenguin wrote:
Our plan is to get married soon and move together to Finland. We have some questions regarding the steps. Maybe someone has been in the same situation.

After we get married and get our certificates, she will apply for Schengen Visa at the Turkish Embassy/Consulate. At the same time she will apply for "Residence card in Finland for a family member of an EU citizen" (https://migri.fi/en/residence-card-for-family-members).
You can only apply for the card in Finland.
HungryPenguin wrote:
With the visa she has to follow the 90/180 rule from what I understand, but after she gets the Residence Card she will be able to stay in Finland for longer.
Once inside Schengen and travelling with you, the 90/180 rule does not apply. You as a couple follow the EU free movement rules.

"Your non-EU family member should clearly indicate on their visa application form that they are applying for an entry visa as a family member of a mobile EU citizen. If this is not clear they may be issued with the wrong type of visa for which they will be charged."

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... ard-doc-no
HungryPenguin wrote:
Will she be able to travel across Europe with the Residency Permit?
She will not have a residence permit.