newborn

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Aisi91

newborn

Post by Aisi91 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:53 pm

Asked this in another forum
hey all I am expecting my son in 2 weeks . I received kela already and they told me I have to get back to them when he is born to give some more money not sure how much. I have some questions . Since I always been working in my homeland staying home seems impossible
1. can I get my newborn in childcare when he turns 10 months I really want to study finnish so I can work
2. can I apply for a university online I did law and finances in my country but I want to work as well while I study so when I'm done with the language is this possible and lastly
3.does finland grant baby bonuses? when a new baby arrives my country pays 800 euros for him right away do you know how much is it in helsinki? having him at hus. thanks

newborn

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

MeM

Re: newborn

Post by MeM » Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:23 am

Hello,

First of all, wish you a smooth delivery and healthy baby!

The answers here based on my experience with my kid.

- each child registered in Finnish local registery is entitled for monthly child benefit of about 95€ until he/she is 17 years old. It means once you have the baby, you informed Kela and the money will be sent to your bank account every month.

- for you, since you did not work in Finland, you are entitled to min benefits. It s around 32€ per day for 9 months. Please have a look at this page (https://www.kela.fi/parental-allowances-after-4-9-2022).

- when your baby is 9 months, you have the option to give him to the day care or continue taking care of him at home. If you take care of him at home, you are entitled to benefits of around 320 € per month until the child is 3 years old. If you decide to give him to the day care at anytime then the child benefit (320 €) will stop. However, you can register yourself in Te-palvelu to start your Finnish courses. In this case, you can apply for unemployment benefits which is around 650€.

- you can apply to university in English program now or in Finnish program after completing your Finnish studies. Theoretically, as long as you are EU citizen or have A permit, you can work without limitations. Then you need to organise your time between study and work.

Finally, I encourage you to make a phone appointment with Kela and ask all of your questions, they are helpful.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:34 pm

Aisi91 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:53 pm
hey all I am expecting my son in 2 weeks . I received kela already and they told me I have to get back to them when he is born to give some more money not sure how much. I have some questions . Since I always been working in my homeland staying home seems impossible
1. can I get my newborn in childcare when he turns 10 months I really want to study finnish so I can work
2. can I apply for a university online I did law and finances in my country but I want to work as well while I study so when I'm done with the language is this possible and lastly
Studying full-time and working full-time and a small child, all at the same time?
That's not realistic.

Finding a job in your field without fluent Finnish is unlikely, and the one-year integration course won't bring you to the level required for working in Finnish in your field.

The best career option for you would be to check what English language university studies are available for you starting fall 2024, and then fill the time before and during studies with language learning.
Aisi91 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:53 pm
3.does finland grant baby bonuses? when a new baby arrives my country pays 800 euros for him right away do you know how much is it in helsinki? having him at hus.
There is a choice between the maternity package or 170 Euros, did you apply for either when talking with Kela?

Aisi91

Post by Aisi91 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:10 pm

hey thanks for answering I guess studies will wait for now I can do them later on , I am highly skilled in foreign languages so I don't think will be a problem for me finnish language ( I hope I'm not wrong )
yes I applied for kela I am already in that but what I want to know is if there is a baby bonus for newborns a woman explained that is like 320 euros a month for 9 months that's 3000 euros for newborn . so it's not like a one time payment but lasting for a period of time right ? I guess I'll ask someone but thought to ask here first

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:53 pm

Aisi91 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:48 pm
My husband got granted work residence permit here this month June 2022. I am in Finland with him ATM and we are not from an eu country. If you guys can tell me when can I apply for a residence permit here and what conditions are we required to have
Aisi91 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:10 pm
hey thanks for answering I guess studies will wait for now I can do them later on , I am highly skilled in foreign languages so I don't think will be a problem for me finnish language ( I hope I'm not wrong )
You are living in Helsinki for nearly a year apparently doing nothing, but you do not even seem to have started learning the language by now despite having time and being in the country.
Aisi91 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:48 pm
yes I applied for kela I am already in that but what I want to know is if there is a baby bonus for newborns a woman explained that is like 320 euros a month for 9 months that's 3000 euros for newborn . so it's not like a one time payment but lasting for a period of time right ? I guess I'll ask someone but thought to ask here first
Have you read the Kela webpage?
They have pretty good information even in English regarding the different benefits.

Aisi91

Post by Aisi91 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:10 am

ah no no I have been in finland waiting my residence permit I felt pregnant in August 2022 and waited for my residency until February 2023 so I want entitled to work or nothing , went to TE they told me to not ask for a job since i am pregnant did that but then i would not have any benefits. since my father is a finnish resident he adviced me to apply for a job so i can receive the benefits anyway I received kela only halfway to March and April so don't judge people please I'm not one of those that 600 euros a month is enough . anyway in march I already was 34 weeks pregnant so I took maternity leave ofc but I guess I'll wait just hoping for a safe delivery