car repairs in Finland workshop goes wrong

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
mojo88

Post by mojo88 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:57 pm

so if I take my car to a Finnish mechanics workshop and e.g ask for a timing belt replacement
and they break something e.g like the crankshaft pulley bolt and are unable to remove the broken piece because it is so far deep stuck in the crankshaft which results in multiple options 1. they must replace the whole crankshaft 2. they replace the whole engine which is cheaper 3. they offer a price to scrap the car.. because you cannot use the car without the crankshaft pulley.

so obviously I need the car so I choose option 1 or 2.
so they caused the problem and they should have workshop repair accident insurance right?
In this case would they have to pay for the new crank or the replacement engine?

or how is it in Finland if the mechanics screw things up?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: car repairs in Finland workshop goes wrong

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon May 01, 2023 9:35 pm

mojo88 wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:57 pm
so if I take my car to a Finnish mechanics workshop and e.g ask for a timing belt replacement
and they break something e.g like the crankshaft pulley bolt and are unable to remove the broken piece because it is so far deep stuck in the crankshaft which results in multiple options 1. they must replace the whole crankshaft 2. they replace the whole engine which is cheaper 3. they offer a price to scrap the car.. because you cannot use the car without the crankshaft pulley.

so they caused the problem and they should have workshop repair accident insurance right?
In this case would they have to pay for the new crank or the replacement engine?

Did that actually happen or are you asking in theory? If the workshop breaks something, they're liable for fixing it. If they deny having broken anything (even though they did), it depends on the case how easy (or hard) it is to prove it otherwise.

mojo88

Post by mojo88 » Mon May 01, 2023 9:59 pm

Yes. Unfortunately this really happened. I just bought the car in mid-April & had to replace the timing belt as its 150k km overdue & most likely would have snapped at anytime.

So after sending in the car at 8am with a quote of 4x hours @ 80€ ph and 150€ for parts the mechanic tells me soon afterwards he broke the crankshaft pulley bolt! :ohno:

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon May 01, 2023 10:22 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 9:35 pm
mojo88 wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:57 pm

Did that actually happen or are you asking in theory? If the workshop breaks something, they're liable for fixing it. If they deny having broken anything (even though they did), it depends on the case how easy (or hard) it is to prove it otherwise.
A relevant question is also why it broke.
mojo88 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 9:59 pm
I just bought the car in mid-April & had to replace the timing belt as its 150k km overdue
That's an old car that had not been properly maintained.

Did it break because the mechanic made a mistake, or did it break due to the pre-existing state of the crankshaft pulley bolt (rust, wrong torque during a previous repair,...)?

My guess would be that if it happened during insertion it is likely the fault of the mechanic, but if it happened during removal it is unlikely the mechanic is at fault.

mojo88

Post by mojo88 » Tue May 02, 2023 11:53 am

It happened while extracting the bolt. Its also possible that the same bolt was used on the previous job 150k km ago which is bad protocol as new bolts should be used. There are multiple scenarios which could have lead to the bolt breaking. :roll:

Also the mechanic had already started an alternative extraction method to remove the broken piece before informing me of the situation. e.g drilling inside the hole which could further cause damage to the threads and using a blowtorch too which would likely permanently damage the crankshaft oil seal and other methods which he has not informed me of yet.

He did all this under his own initiative so I would assume he has taken 'responsibility' of the situation.

My main question would be does the mechanic workshop have insurance on these situations.
I already asked about the insurance with this situation but my Finnish is not great and his English was dodgy but from what I surmised from his reply was that he is responsible for breaking the bolt and I do not have to pay for any extra costs related to the repair. But this is an assumption as the language scenario was not exactly 100 %

Thats why I made this post to hopefully find some clue about workshop insurance coverage in Finland. 8)

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue May 02, 2023 3:36 pm

mojo88 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 11:53 am
Thats why I made this post to hopefully find some clue about workshop insurance coverage in Finland. 8)
It would not make a difference for you.
Either the workshop is liable for the broken bolt, or it is not liable.

If they are liable, it is not relevant for you whether they have to pay it out of their own pocket or whether any insurance would reimburse them.
A liability insurance would not pay when no liability exists.
mojo88 wrote:
It happened while extracting the bolt. Its also possible that the same bolt was used on the previous job 150k km ago which is bad protocol as new bolts should be used. There are multiple scenarios which could have lead to the bolt breaking. :roll:
This doesn't sound as if the workshop has done anything wrong.
mojo88 wrote:
Also the mechanic had already started an alternative extraction method to remove the broken piece before informing me of the situation. e.g drilling inside the hole which could further cause damage to the threads and using a blowtorch too which would likely permanently damage the crankshaft oil seal and other methods which he has not informed me of yet.
Doing nothing would also require replacing the crankshaft.
mojo88 wrote:
He did all this under his own initiative so I would assume he has taken 'responsibility' of the situation.
The broken bolt was not his fault, he tried his best to fix it but the problem was not fixable.
mojo88 wrote:
My main question would be does the mechanic workshop have insurance on these situations.
I already asked about the insurance with this situation but my Finnish is not great and his English was dodgy but from what I surmised from his reply was that he is responsible for breaking the bolt and I do not have to pay for any extra costs related to the repair. But this is an assumption as the language scenario was not exactly 100 %
I'd guess he was saying he won't charge you the 320 Euro for the repair that was not possible, not that he will buy you a new engine.
mojo88 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 9:59 pm
I just bought the car in mid-April & had to replace the timing belt as its 150k km overdue
If anyone except you is liable, it would be the previous owner.