Bringing a motorcycle from UK to Helsinki: Some questions

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Pariah

Post by Pariah » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:19 am

Hyvää huomenta. Olen englantilainen, mutta asun Helsingissä

I have Finnish residency permit and have an apartment in Helsinki, car, wife, the whole catastrophe

I have a classic motorcycle in storage in the UK that I would like to bring to Finland permanently. I will de-register this for export in the UK and declare to Tulli on arrival in Finland (assuming this is not an issue)

I am also unsure of the best way to bring from the UK. I have three options:

1: Rent a van from Finland to UK. Most of this is by ferry (Helsinki - Germany and Rotterdam - Hull). Do you know if any Finnish rental companies permit hire for driving outside Finland ie to UK?

2: Drive with car and trailer, collect bike, return to Helsinki. My car has towbar and lighting socket, If I buy a small trailer (less than 300kg gross weight) is it a requirement to register a private trailer in Finland?

3: Arrange shipping. I may contact Victor Ek separately about this to see if they can collect from UK and bring to Helsinki but if there are any regular or recommended shipping companies who operate from UK to Finland I would like to know.

Kiitos

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Bringing a motorcycle from UK to Helsinki: Some questions

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:56 pm

Pariah wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:19 am
I have Finnish residency permit and have an apartment in Helsinki, car, wife, the whole catastrophe

I have a classic motorcycle in storage in the UK that I would like to bring to Finland permanently. I will de-register this for export in the UK and declare to Tulli on arrival in Finland (assuming this is not an issue)

1: Rent a van from Finland to UK. Most of this is by ferry (Helsinki - Germany and Rotterdam - Hull). Do you know if any Finnish rental companies permit hire for driving outside Finland ie to UK?

2: Drive with car and trailer, collect bike, return to Helsinki. My car has towbar and lighting socket, If I buy a small trailer (less than 300kg gross weight) is it a requirement to register a private trailer in Finland?

3: Arrange shipping. I may contact Victor Ek separately about this to see if they can collect from UK and bring to Helsinki but if there are any regular or recommended shipping companies who operate from UK to Finland I would like to know.
Finnlines offers freight shipping from Hull to Helsinki, you should ask them for a quote.

Pariah

Re: Bringing a motorcycle from UK to Helsinki: Some questions

Post by Pariah » Wed May 03, 2023 7:58 pm

Thanks Finlandgirl, that's good to hear. I've travelled with Finnlines a few times, I'll contact them