Buying a car in Germany - new rules?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
elence

Post by elence » Sun May 14, 2023 11:28 pm

Hi guys, who have in the last year bought a car from german dealers? Did they ask you to be a company owner and give them VAT number?

Here's the back story.

I'm in Portugal at the moment, considering moving to Finland. Have tax number, bank account. I wanted to buy a used honda civic at one of official german dealers. Spoke with two of them on the phone. They said they can only sell me a car if I’m a company owner and have VAT number. It has to do with writing a letter saying I wont need dealer warranty on the car - along those lines.

Is this really the case? Would appreciate any insights!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Buying a car in Germany - new rules?

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon May 15, 2023 3:48 pm

elence wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 11:28 pm
Hi guys, who have in the last year bought a car from german dealers? Did they ask you to be a company owner and give them VAT number?

Here's the back story.

I'm in Portugal at the moment, considering moving to Finland. Have tax number, bank account. I wanted to buy a used honda civic at one of official german dealers. Spoke with two of them on the phone. They said they can only sell me a car if I’m a company owner and have VAT number. It has to do with writing a letter saying I wont need dealer warranty on the car - along those lines.

Is this really the case? Would appreciate any insights!
Private persons buying goods in the EU have a right to warranty that cannot be waived, B2B there is no requirement to provide warranty since businesses are supposed to know what they are doing.