Healthcare

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
gigibadid

Healthcare

Post by gigibadid » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:52 am

Hi! I have ADHD and using medication for that. I am bringing them from my home country for a while now but it is very hard to keep up with this. I do this because I don’t know how can I see a psychiatrist here and how can I explain my ADHD to them. Can anyone give me info about how this system works here and how can I get my medications here in Finland? It is very tiring and costly to do back and forth and also there are time I stay without my medication and it has been a real struggle for me a couple of times.

Healthcare

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Healthcare

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:32 am

gigibadid wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:52 am
Hi! I have ADHD and using medication for that. I am bringing them from my home country for a while now but it is very hard to keep up with this. I do this because I don’t know how can I see a psychiatrist here and how can I explain my ADHD to them. Can anyone give me info about how this system works here and how can I get my medications here in Finland? It is very tiring and costly to do back and forth and also there are time I stay without my medication and it has been a real struggle for me a couple of times.
https://www.infofinland.fi/en/health/he ... in-finland

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:37 am

If you are eligible for Kela, you can request an appointment with a public GP/psychiatrist.
If not, you can check whether the prices at one of the private health companies (eg Terveystalo or Mehiläinen or others: https://www.expat-finland.com/living_in ... hcare.html) fit your budget.

Once you have a prescription (resepti) you may find the prices for the drugs are not that bad. I'm paying full price without Kela, and it's cheaper than the UK NHS prescription charge.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:16 pm

You just need to book an appointment with a health care professional and tell them what you've already been taking. They will probably be glad to prescribe the same thing and save the effort of diagnosis.
Although you must pay for the prescription (with Kela paying a subsidy), there is an annual cap. If the medication is expensive then you might reach the annual cap and after that all prescriptions (for any medicine for any reason) are free of charge for the rest of the calendar year.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:44 pm

SecretCode wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:37 am
If you are eligible for Kela, you can request an appointment with a public GP/psychiatrist.
A very common misconception. Access to a public GP is generally via having a municipality of residence – not Kela.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:28 am

Call your local health center. You probably will start with a GP but be referred to a psychiatrist. The more documentation you have of psychological testing and history, the easier it will be to continue the medication here. These medicines are typically highly controlled/regulated and it can be a long process to get recognition of your condition in Finland. But it can be very simple depending on the doctor and if you have enough documentation for their comfort. Good luck with your process. Adult ADHD has a lot of stigma and barriers to treatment unfortunately.

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:24 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:44 pm
SecretCode wrote:
A very common misconception. Access to a public GP is generally via having a municipality of residence – not Kela.
Fair, but the official who explained why I don't get a municipality of residence yet implied that you get both or neither. Is it in fact possible to have a municipality of residence and not be enrolled in Kela, or vice versa? (I'm talking about residence requirements - I suppose there may also be income limits for Kela benefits.)

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:00 pm

SecretCode wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:24 am
betelgeuse wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:44 pm
SecretCode wrote:
Fair, but the official who explained why I don't get a municipality of residence yet implied that you get both or neither. Is it in fact possible to have a municipality of residence and not be enrolled in Kela, or vice versa? (I'm talking about residence requirements - I suppose there may also be income limits for Kela benefits.)
It is possible. See, for example: ” principle of the exportability of benefits to all Member States where the beneficiary or family members reside”

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content ... SUM:c10521